Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009
    • (edited Apr 3rd 2014)
    created the book-entry Supergravity and Superstrings - A Geometric Perspective as the usual recipient, eventually, for a link list of entries on supergravity.

This book is a jewel, but out of print. I happen to have an electronic djvu copy of it. I am feeling tempted to upload that to the lab, for the sake of mankind in general and of future students in particular. Probably legally a bad idea. Or is it?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Likely to be illegal. Just because it's out of print doesn't mean it's out of copyright. You'd need permission from the copyright holder first (who are either the publishers or the publishers would know who they are).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So what if tomorrow some anonymous contributor suddenly uploads the files anyway, from a non-traceable IP address?

Or what about this: may I put a remark on the page saying: "You can send an email to ... if you want a djvu copy of the book".

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentRowNumber5.

More seriously, then the instant I am made aware of the upload then I take it down.

(If anyone has an issue with this, let me make clear that in this hypothetical situation we are talking about a fairly clear copyright violation.)

As for the posting of the "you can get it by email", it would be great to be able to put that up but that feels a little to close to what The Pirate Bay were doing and that was only in Sweden. Remember that our server is in the US.

Of course, if you can get permission then that's different.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Oct 1st 2009)

In the U.S., it's illegal to ‘facilitate’ copyright violation. (That this wasn't clearly the case in Swedish Law was the Pirate Bay's defence, even though they eventually got raided and bought out anyway.) Of course, there's a vague line between uploading the file (which is itself a violation, besides facilitating further violation), advertising for email distribution (facilitating your own future violation), linking to a copy elsewhere (essentially equivalent to the Pirate Bay), giving instructions on how to search for a copy, and remarking on the fact that such copies exist (probably legal, but IANAL either).

But what are the chances of getting permission? If it's out of print and the authors have control, maybe pretty good! (The publisher is World Scientific.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay thanks, I hadn't thought about the possibility of asking for permission. I'll try.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2009)
    Most publishers would accept such things for books out of print. Springer allowed retyping and posting SGA 1 and SGA 2 to the arXiv, as they were out of print. Thus Springer has history of being cooperative in making availability for out of print historically important editions.

On the other hand, Springer has published a number of translations of books from Russian to English. Some books in their first editions were published by public funds of Soviet Union, and, in some extreme cases, the new editions in English do NOT EVEN MENTION THAT RUSSIAN ORIGINAL EVER EXISTED. This is for example true for S.Gel'fand-Yu. Manin book Metody gomologicheskoj algebry, tom I, whose English translation Methods of homological algebra is full of serious mathematical typoi and badly copied commutative diagrams (often the arrows are mislabelled in the translation only). While the book is masterly piece, jewel in the tradition of homological algebra, even the Russian edition seem to have been written a bit in haste (some gaps in proofs show this), but the statistics of typographical errors shows that the Russian edition is almost always correct in formulas and diagrams, while English Springer edition is flooded with them. The Russian edition and its copyright notice is not even mentioned in the book, its cover, its internal cover nor any of advertisements Springer has made about this beautiful book. To make the thing worse, the Russian original was called tome I, hence was thought as a part of longer planned project. English translation has not mentioned that they are taking a book from non-finished series and therefore seriously mislead the readers about the age of the book, authorship, scope and copyright SIMULTANEOUSLY. This is unfortutately a rather common practice with translations of Soviet era textbooks.

So how can Springer claim that djvu for homological algebra book is in violation of copyrights if they neglected without mention on the cover, internal cover, advertisements and so on the Soviet/taxpayers partly funded Nauka edition from 1988, if they did not make any money transaction back to Soviet taxpayers (I do not care if they paid something to the authors as the original was partly funded by the taxpayers) etc? Nauka publishers is not mentioned in any of the transactions. I am happy to have the original Nauka edition.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMolotov
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    Dear Urs, could you send me a copy of the book (supergravity and superstrings: a geometric perspective)? It would mean the world to me, I need to check the part where the write the embedding of the coset of N=3 Supergravity into the appropiate symplectic group.

Thanks in advance.
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2020
    • (edited May 25th 2020)

finally added the DOI

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2020
    • (edited May 29th 2020)

added these pointers to free pdf copies of the book: