Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2019

Moved the reference to the Lawvere commentary on Isbell to ’References’.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2019

added link to pdf of isbells’s 1964 article

diff, v17, current

1. Added warning that dense functors are not closed under composition.

Jonas Frey

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2021

Thanks. But allow me to suggest that a 2-line comment should be a Remark (\begin{remark} comment \end{remark}) and not a section all by itself.

I was going to fix it, merging it with the other “warning” to a list of remarks. But I am unsure where that other warning ends and where maybe some new definitions begins and what it really means.

If you know, please have a look, maybe you can clean this up.

We have available a beautiful list of numbered environments to help with organizing material in a transparent way:

\begin{definition} ... \end{definition}

\begin{remark} ... \end{remark}

\begin{proposition} ... \end{proposition}

\begin{proof} ... \end{proof}

Let’s make ample use of this. It helps not only the reader to read, but also the author to organize their thoughts.

In contrast, sections should by-and-large stick to the pattern

Idea

Definition

Properties

Examples

Related concepts

References

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2021
    • (edited Mar 17th 2021)
    Re #4: Urs, could you your list of sections to the editing sidebar? This way it would be easy to pull out when creating a new article. Otherwise, having to look up these instructions, which are buried in an obscure thread on the nForum, is quite difficult.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2021

So that’s what the Template page is meant to be for, that is linked to from How to organize and write content.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have tried to brush up the entry:

1. Gave the definition a numbered environment and a label, so that it can be pointed to;

2. removed the section “Warning”, moving its content to dense subcategory

(the section contained an alternative definition of “dense subcategory” – maybe the two entries want to be merged, but I won’t look into that now)

3. made the “other warning”, on the class of dense functors not being closed under composition a numbered remark,

4. made the counter-example that proved this claim a numbered example.

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorJonasFrey

Re #4: Thanks for the suggestions, Urs, sorry I saw them only now. I’ll try to follow your stylistic guidelines in the future.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2021

Added a few examples.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2021

Thanks!

I have made your Ind category a redirect, so that it points as expected; and I have hyperlinked categories of sheaves.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2021

Mention equivalent characterisation of density in terms of lan iilan_i i being the identity.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2021

Added a characterisation of density in terms of cocompletions.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2021

Newbie question related to the last edit: is there an example of a non-pointwise density comonad isomorphic to the identity?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2023
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2023

Added another characterisation of density.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2023

Added the example of small VV-categories in large VV-categories.

diff, v33, current