Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2019

starting something

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

have some content added now. Currently there is much overlap with the discussion at configuration space of points, but eventually more details should go here that don’t need to go there

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    Is there a reason to capitalize "cohomotopy"?

We don't capitalize "cohomology" when we're
    referring to the specific cohomology theory represented by HZ,
    why should "cohomotopy" be capitalized?
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 18th 2019)

I started to capitalize it when I noticed that expressions like

“cocycle in cohomotopy cohomology theory”

are hard to discern, especially for an audience of non-homotopy theorists.

The rationale should be that “Cohomotopy theory” is a sibling of “K-theory” and “HZ-theory” and generic “E-theories”, etc. For both emphasis and brevity one could well decide to speak of “C-theory”. Short of that, “Cohomotopy theory” seems to be the right name.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    I see.

I guess one could say "cocycle in cohomotopy"
    just like one says "cocycle in cohomology", "cocycle in K-theory", "cocycle in E-theory",
    as opposed to "cocycle in K-theory cohomology theory".
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019
    • (edited Oct 19th 2019)

Yes, I suppose you and me we’d have no issues with communication on this. But once one steps outside the community of homotopy theorists, one is alerted of the fact that “cohomotopy theory” is not an abstract general as “cohomology theory” is, but instead is a concrete particular, and in fact a special instance of the latter. The expert homotopy theorist understands this and can handle the historically grown exceptions to systematic terminology in his field.

(Or can they? Part of the previously missed low-hanging fruit we have been picking rests on just the observation that many classical theorems of differential topology are secretly all about Cohomotopy theory without this being made terminologically explicit.)

People outside of the field of homotopy theory, who typically do not have a clear idea even of the meaning of “homotopy theory”, are easily thrown by “cohomotopy theory” not being anything like a dual to “homotopy theory” (unless one instead means “homotopy homology theory”, and there we go again!)

If it were sufficient to consider just stable Cohomotopy, I’d be inclined to say “𝕊\mathbb{S}-theory” for it. One thought is that one could say “π \mathbf{\pi}^\bullet-theory” for unstable Cohomotopy. Maybe not that bad? Or “S S^\bullet-theory”? I am undecided.

Anyway, I hope that me capitalizing Cohomotopy theory causes no harm to the experts, while potentially helping the outsiders (who mostly are experts themselves, just not in homotopy theory…)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2019
    I think it makes sense to transfer some part of the comment #6 to the entry cohomotopy.
    Currently the title of this entry is not capitalized, by the way (which is what confused me in the first place).
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2019

I see, thanks for saying. Will be editing later.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2019

Hi Dmitri, so thanks for the prodding. I have now tried to add respective remarks in the entry cohomotopy (where this belongs more properly). Let’s have any further discussion on this general point in the respective thread there!