Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2019

starting something, in order to record Theorem 1 in

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2019

added pointer to

• Joan S. Birman, Xiao-Song Lin, Knot polynomials and Vassiliev’s invariants, Invent Math (1993) 111: 225 (doi:10.1007/BF01231287)

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2021

I’m finding it hard to parse this page title.

Should the ’graded’ be ’grades’?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 23rd 2021)

By the infinite linguistic wisdom of the maths community, “the associated graded” has become the standard term for what started life as “the associated graded vector space”.

What the entry title adds to this abuse is only to abbreviate “vector space of weight systems” to “weight systems”.

The statement in full English is:

The vector space of weight systems is the associated graded vector space to the filtered vector space of Vassiliev invariants.

(as it does say a little further down in the entry).

Whatever entry title seems to both capture as well as abbreviate this I am fine with.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Ok, ugly, but at least it’s not a misprint.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In principle we could add the word “elements” after “associated graded” to make the entry title read

weight systems are the associated graded elements of Vassiliev invariants

While closer to meaningful English, I can easily imagine experts on “the associated graded” wondering what an “associated graded element” might be.

But I am agnostic about it. The entry title here is more like a file name to me, not like something you need to read out.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited Apr 23rd 2021)

I agree that “associated graded of”, while being the standard mathematical slang by now, does sound clumsy.

One can also say

weight systems are the associated graded group of Vassiliev invariants

or

weight systems form the associated graded group of Vassiliev invariants

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, we could add “elements” as suggested in #6 or “group” as in your #7 or else “space” or “vector space”.

But of all these I find “elements” would fit best, since both the “weight systems” and the “Vassiliev invariant” are the elements of their respective groups/spaces

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2021
    • (edited Apr 24th 2021)

As the use of ’associated graded of’ in lots of contexts can be thought of as being the spoken (perhaps lazy) form of ’associated graded object’. In written material it might be preferable to include the extra word, ’object’. The suggestion that Urs makes would work as well, but how do you ‘grade’ an element, so that may be a bit confusing. (The advantage of ’object’ is that it covers a multitude of cases, so is very versatile.)

I have heard the slang version many times and it is so clumsy (and to my ears ugly) that it stops my appreciation of the mathematics. I stop to think ’what is being graded’ and then have to work harder to catch up the thread of the seminar.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2021

okay, have changed the page name to “… the associated graded objects …”

also, I am exporting the list of “Related theorem” to a new entry

which then to !include back into this and related entries, for ease of synchronizing and updating their cross-links

diff, v10, current