Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010

I felt there should be an entry category of presheaves. So I started one.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • (edited Apr 15th 2010)

I’ve wondered something for a long time. Why is it called a “free cocompletion” if Psh is not idempotent. Is it idempotent if we fix a universe U and look at U-Psh(C)? Or is it perhaps more subtle? For any subcanonical grothendieck topology, there is a natural assignment of a grothendieck topology on Sh(C) (cf. SGA 4. This follows by a theorem of Giraud) such that Sh(Sh(C)) is equivalent to Sh(C) (the theorem of Giraud specifically gives a natural assignment of a grothendieck topology on Psh(C) that restricts to the canonical topology on the full reflective subcategory Sh(C)). Can we say something similar about presheaf categories? In particular, the assignment gives the canonical topology on Psh(C) for the chaotic topology on C.

I say this simply because the definition of a closure/completion operator requires idempotence.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Good question, but no, even in contexts that permit it (such as small categories enriched in a quantale), taking presheaves can never be idempotent unless the base of enrichment is equivalent to a trivial category.

In this case “free cocompletion” comes from “free” as left adjoint to the forgetful functor going from “cocomplete” categories to categories, so “free cocompletion” is a linguistic back-formation which refuses to fit the general rule cited on that page. But there is plenty of relevant commentary on this point at completion: recall that a monadic functor gives an idempotent monad if and only if it is full and faithful. In the language of stuff, structure, and property, this is precisely the case where the monadic functor is a functor which forgets “only properties”. It is explained at completion that there is intermediate notion called “property-like structure”: where the structures are described by properties (e.g., small colimit structure is unique when it exists), but the forgetful functor is not full because not every morphism in the target category preserves that structure (e.g., not every functor between cocomplete categories preserves colimits). And if the monadic functor is not full, then the monad can’t be idempotent.

The usage is too well-established to do anything about it, so nLab will not play Bourbaki here; we’ll therefore be descriptive, not prescriptive.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Apr 15th 2010)

The usage is too well-established to do anything about it, so nLab will not play Bourbaki here; we’ll therefore be descriptive, not prescriptive.

No arguments here. As I’ve said before, I’m against all attempts to Bourbaki definitions until we Bourbaki prestack to be a pseudofunctor into Cat.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010

Questions at category of presheaves

• CommentRowNumber6.

I think I answered your question. What I said is definitely true for subcanonical topologies, and I believe that for nonsubcanonical topologies, it’s rather trivial.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, you need to restrict to left-exact reflective subcategories, and I don’t think subcanonicality has much to do with it.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

By the way, this is all described at category of sheaves.

What was that funny effect that all the “\infty“-signs in the last line of category of presheaves had been removed? I put them back in. What happened there?

• CommentRowNumber9.

I’m afraid I feel my question has not been answered yes or no, yet. Certainly there are topologies such that the associated categories of sheaves are sub-topoi, and left-exact reflective subcategories are sheaves on some topology, but what if I have some category CC' equipped with an adjoint equivalence to the subtopos? Is it wrong to think of CC' as a subtopos as well? If it is a subtopos, then is it a Grothendieck topos (i.e. actually a category of sheaves) or just equivalent to one? (this question, I am well aware, may be completely stupid, but please treat me as ignorant of finer points of topos theory - except you Harry; you can continue to revere me ;P )

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 16th 2010)

a Grothendieck topos (i.e. actually a category of sheaves) or just equivalent to one?

What an evil question! We don’t distinguish between categories of sheaves and categories equivalent to them.

A Grothendieck topos is of course a category equivalent to one that is sheaves on something.

• CommentRowNumber11.

And any sub-(elementary-topos) of a Grothendieck topos is in fact itself a Grothendieck topos, if that’s what you’re worried about.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • (edited Apr 16th 2010)

That’s fine, but what about a sub-(elementary topos) of a presheaf topos? Perhaps I should be asking whether a presheaf topos is a Grothendieck topos (this is standard knowledge I know, but I’m in the mood for extracting answers out of people today).

@Urs: thats pretty much what I thought.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 16th 2010)

whether a presheaf topos is a Grothendieck topos

Yes, because it is sheaves for the trivial topology. More elegantly: it is evidently an exact reflective subcategory of itself.

what about a sub-(elementary topos) of a presheaf topos?

Well, as we said, this is one of the equivalent definitions of Grothendieck toposes: geometric embeddings into presheaf toposes.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Well, as we said, this is one of the equivalent definitions of Grothendieck toposes: geometric embeddings into presheaf toposes.

Yes, and this is the property that is abstracted to the (∞,1) case.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010

because it is sheaves for the trivial topology.

ok - that clears thing up. Thanks for the help.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2014
    • (edited Apr 18th 2014)

I added the page functoriality of categories of presheaves because I felt it should exist, even though we do have restriction and extension of sheaves. (Also added a link from category of presheaves.)

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2014

Ought to at least link to Kan extension

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018

I copied over some elaborations on the fundamental theorem of presheaf slices from over-topos.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2018

Expanded a bit on Bunge’s characterization theorem by giving some references.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020

Added the result about Artin gluing between presheaf toposes.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2022

For completeness and so that it can be referred to elsewhere, I have added the statement (here) that epi/monos of presheaves are recognized objectwise.

While I was at it, I have added/slightly expanded related statements before and after.

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2022

Fixed duplicate redirect.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2023

It was claimed that two papers contained a proof of the characterisation of presheaf categories, but they contained a different characterisation. The only reference for the statement I’ve found on the page additionally assumed well-poweredness and co-well-poweredness.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Added reference for characterisation of presheaf categories, and added missing assumptions.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber25.

It looks like some work needs to be done to harmonize various relevant nLab articles. The notion of “atomic” used in atomic category is I think stronger than the notion used by Bunge: the former means there is a small dense (full) subcategory of atomic objects, whereas the latter seems to refer to the atomic objects forming merely a generating set. This difference might account for the more technical-looking statement that appears in category of presheaves.

The first thing I would do (not now, but later unless someone beats me to it) is to track down in the literature where the density formulation appears. Assuming I didn’t just hallucinate that formulation, we can take it from there.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2023

Added Carboni-Vitale’s characterization of presheaf topoi

diff, v34, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2023

added pointer to:

• Marta Bunge, Categories of Set-Valued Functors, PhD thesis, University of Pennsylvania (1966) [pdf]

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2024

Note the (co)monadicity of presheaves over families (couldn’t find this mentioned anywhere else on the nlab except here: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/free+cartesian+category#free_productcompletions_of_categories)

diff, v39, current