Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

added these pointers on classification of topological phases of matter via tensor network states:

• C. Wille, O. Buerschaper, Jens Eisert, Fermionic topological quantum states as tensor networks, Phys. Rev. B 95, 245127 (2017) (arXiv:1609.02574)

• Andreas Bauer, Jens Eisert, Carolin Wille, Towards a mathematical formalism for classifying phases of matter (arXiv:1903.05413)

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2021

added this pointer:

• Sanju Gupta, Avadh Saxena, The Role of Topology in Materials, Springer Series in Solid-State Sciences 189, 2018 (doi:10.1007/978-3-319-76596-9)

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2021

added this pointer:

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2022

The Idea-section of this entry was no good, besides being extremely brief. I have now written a few paragraphs (here). Still much room to improve on this, but it should be a start.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to:

• Online course on topology in condensed matter (2015-) [[topocondmat.org]]

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have renamed the entry from “topological state of matter” to “topological phase of matter”. The latter is the established terminology, and the former doesn’t really make sense.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2022

In that introductory paragraph

… if external adiabatic deformations of the system that are gentle enough not to excite modes beyond energy >Δ above the ground state leave the properties of the system invariant if the deformations are small…

the final “if the deformations are small” is a repetition? The whole paragraph being a single sentence it’s hard to parse.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, thanks for pushing me. I have now adjusted and then I have expanded the idea-section a fair bit more (still here)

diff, v34, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added also a paragraph (now here) making the relation to TQFT more explicit

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2022

Thanks! That’s much clearer.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2022

added pointer to this review:

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2022

added pointer to:

Will add this also to several further related pages.

diff, v43, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2022

7:

I have renamed the entry from “topological state of matter” to “topological phase of matter”. The latter is the established terminology,

Good, we trust you that it is more widely used, you are now a prominent researcher in the subject.

and the former doesn’t really make sense.

It is in the same sense as in “solid state physics” and some prominent group do use the terminology, e.g. at Brown Univ. here or in these seminars in Koeln or in this Nature review from 2017. Never mind, the existing redirect is enough of course.

But I visited this page for another, more important, reason: are you interested (I see no pages on this topic but some people around me talk about it) in fracton phases of matter ? I was thinking to record few references on fractons but I do not see how it fits in nnLabs big scheme of the wider subject of topological phases. Any advice, thought ?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Regarding terminology: I am not dogmatic about preferring “topological phase of matter” over “topological state of matter”, though I still feel the former makes better sense. But I have added mentioning of the alternative in the first line of the Idea-section (here) and I have added pointer to Wang & Zhang (2017).

Regarding fractons: I have seen some of the articles but haven’t really looked into the topic, so at this point I don’t know how it fits into a broader picture.

The broad description of fractons – as objects stuck at one position unless forming a suitable bound state – is quite reminiscent of that of fractional D-branes – which are stuck at an orbi-singularity unless they bind to (have a direct sum of D-brane charges equivalent to) a regular representation. This similarity may be profound or superficial, I don’t know; the actual constructions used in fracton theory (e.g. in arXiv:2001.01722) look rather different from such fractional D-branes.

diff, v48, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Dec 21st 2022)

I have seen some reference where some models with fractons are indeed obtained from some brane models, but those did not look general enough. “At one position” may be in the sense that some of the dimensions are constrained and other not suggesting foliation like spacial structure, and some people indeed use foliations to model this (“foliated quantum field theory”).

• Kevin Slagle, Foliated Quantum Field Theory of Fracton Order, Phys. Rev. Lett. 126, 101603 doi
    • CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 21st 2022)

Not sure how compelling I find this foliated story, but admittedly I have only glanced over it.

But it may be worth highlighting that the story of fractional branes is bound to re-appear in topological phases of matter — as soon as the widely expected (and indeed plausible) conjecture is true that symmetry-protected crystalline topological phases are classified by (twisted) equivariant K-theory:

Namely, fractional D-branes are effectivley entirely characterized by their reflection in the equivariant K-theory around orbi-singularities. So exactly the same mathematical arguments will give a directly analogous physical effect at fixed points of the point group symmetry of crystals in topological phases.

I don’t recall that this has been considered and given a name in solid state physics before, but it seems inevitable that it’s there. And these CMT-analogs of fractional branes are guaranteed to obey at least the informal description of fractons…

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Interesting, I will try to read more to fully appreciate this idea.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v49, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2023

added pointer to today’s:

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2023

this item seems to be only marginally about topological phases of matter:

A better place to record this would be at quantum anomaly and renormalization.

diff, v51, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2023

added (here) a couple more references for the interacting case

diff, v53, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2023
    • (edited Nov 7th 2023)

added pointer to today’s replacement

(also at lattice gauge theory)