Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

eom Springer Online Encyclopaedia of Mathematics. Needed an entry, I am sick of typing it in full and do not like to make it incomplete. So why not using eom as a link whenever I need to quote a particular article from eom, thus citations will be shorter with the same online functionalilty.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Why not call the page Encyclopaedia of Mathematics and make eom a redirect?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I prefer other way around, for more than one reason. First is that I want that eom (what is also a memo for the URL) comes to memory. Second Encyclopaedia of Mathematics is the book and the entry is predominantly NOT about the book, but about the partial online edition which has URL eom (i.e. eom. springer.de). So in that case we would have too long Springer Online Encyclopaedia of Mathematics (oh no).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Apr 18th 2010)

Done. I added 2 redirects and made some minor changes.

There are some things about eom which are a bit of problem. I mean the additions do not take care of synonyms. So even in Hazewinkel's department there are errors like making a wrong link, where one needs spectrum in the sense of algebraic topology a link is to spectrum of a ring in the sense of Grothendieck and Cartier. Next word stack has its meaning in computer architecture, and that one is the entry about. Hazewinkel looks into the expansion of eom in systematic manner, namely they add those entries which in their computer research of math texts are statistically the most frequent among the entries not yet in eom. This is of course making those words which appear in more than one meaning more likely to enter, and those for which one of the meanings is already in the encyclopaedia new emerging meanings will not come into the row for execution because the system looks just for new words. So word stack in the nPOV meaning is absent! Among so many thousand concepts stack is absent. Well, blame the computers.

In such a special case maybe someone would have to warn the main editor that such a big thing is missing (and maybe help writing a good entry).

• CommentRowNumber5.

What is too long about Springer Online Encyclopaedia of Mathematics? With a redirect you never need to type it once the page has been named. I find the page as it is very confusing, I think the title of a page should actually describe the page, not be an obscure abbreviation. I’m not sure what you mean about memory either, since you only ever need to type [[eom]] to create a link.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

You have Springer Online etc. spelled there in the page. Having eom makes us remember it. I was objecting when people used MO abbreviation in the discussions without explanation (making reference incomprehensible, say for me), here when I did not know what it was, but that usage has forced me to learn something what is very often used. eom covers about 20% of potential basic new entries I type, so it could be often used.

I noticed when the redirect is typed than the original page does not have a backpointer in the list of referring items. I am not sure if it is still so, but I noticed that many times.

Of course, I don't care much.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

I still don’t understand what you are saying about remembering. What is it you want to remember, exactly?

Anyone else have an opinion?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I agree with Zoran, but for no good reason other than parsimony.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 19th 2010)

I second Mike: why not have a descriptive title and then use the abbreviations as reddirects? Somebody who comes to this page from anywhere should get a good idea of what the entry is about from just looking at the title.

I would also think it would be good if the entry started more with a description: “The Springer encyclopedia of mathematics is such-and-such…”

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2022

Slightly cleaning up this old entry.

The following question used to be sitting in the entry (since rev 1), but I am hereby moving it from there to the nForum here:

Question: it looks to me that all online entries which I looked at are from the original translation, not the added or extended articles. Is this true ?

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2022

Re #10: Many article do have additions made in translation, see, for example https://encyclopediaofmath.org/wiki/Analytic_manifold.

But as far as I understand, there are essentially no changes compared to the original printed translation published by Kluwer in 2002.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Added bibliographic data with ISBNs.

Removed the following dubious claim, would like to see some evidence first, the description available online seems to indicated that the whole encyclopedia is now online:

The free online version comprises just a fraction (large, with 8000 entries, but still a minority of the whole encyclopaedia) of the articles in Springer Encyclopaedia of Mathematics.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber13.

Renamed.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber14.

Added more bibliographic data (hopefully complete now).

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

I have cross-linked with Michiel Hazewinkel.

diff, v9, current