Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive constructive-mathematics cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory history homological homological-algebra homology homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory string string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2020
    • (edited Feb 25th 2020)

Further towards homotopy-theoretic foundations for the M5-brane model in M-theory, we have a note observing emergence of twisted string structure (“non-abelian gerbe field”) on the M5-worldvolume, derived from twisted cohomotopy-theory, assuming Hypothesis H:

This amounts to observing one big homotopy-commutative diagram, the outer part of which we had derived earlier. The observation that the inner part thus factors through BString c 2B String^{c_2} follows immediately. The article walks a spotlight through this big diagram, explaining all its constitutents.

Comments are welcome. Please grab the latest version of the file from behind the above link.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited Feb 25th 2020)

p. 3 ’Here we restrict attention to the subgroup … only for sake of exposition’ Is this because otherwise you’d have loads of Sp(1)Sp(1) factors all over, and these are making little difference to the mathematics?

p. 6 The analogy between rational superspaces and topological spaces. What happens with the topology analogue of the 517-torus fibration? Do you need some form of supergeometry to generate it?

Typos

conisdering; Stringvstructure; quatization

and

In direct analogy with Spin cSpin^c-structure, is called String c 2String^{c_2}-structure…

missing ’it’.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 25th 2020)

Is this because otherwise you’d have loads of Sp(1)Sp(1) factors all over, and these are making little difference to the mathematics?

Yes, exactly

p. 6 The analogy between rational superspaces and topological spaces. What happens with the topology analogue of the 517-torus fibration? Do you need some form of supergeometry to generate it?

I think now the combination of the two will be

exc,s 10,1|32String χ 8 c 2 \mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}}_{exc,s} \sslash String^{c_2}_{\chi_8}

hence the “super-exceptional Poincaré String c 2String^{c_2} group”, if you wish.

On this, the Hopf WZ term is going to be a universal 5-gerbe connection

exc,s 10,1|32String χ 8 c 2Γ˜ 7B 6U(1) conn \mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}}_{exc,s} \sslash String^{c_2}_{\chi_8} \overset{\;\;\;\; \widetilde{\mathbf{\Gamma}}_7\;\;\;\;}{\longrightarrow} B^6 U(1)_{conn}

whose curvature 7-form is the M5 super-cocycle

exc,s 10,1|32String χ 8 c 2h 3 excμ M2+μ M6Ω cl 7 \mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}}_{exc,s} \sslash String^{c_2}_{\chi_8} \overset{h_3^{exc}\wedge \mu_{M2} + \mu_{M6}}{\longrightarrow} \mathbf{\Omega}^7_{cl}

from FSS19c

and whose integral class is the

exc,s 10,1|32String χ 8 c 2BString χ 8 c 2Γ˜ 7H 3 univ(Γ˜ 4+12p 1)+2Γ 7K(,7) \mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}}_{exc,s} \sslash String^{c_2}_{\chi_8} \to B String^{c_2}_{\chi_8} \overset{ \widetilde \Gamma_7 \;\coloneqq\; H_3^{univ} \wedge (\widetilde \Gamma_4 + \tfrac{1}{2}p_1) + 2\Gamma_7 }{\longrightarrow} K(\mathbb{Z},7)

from FSS19b.

Something like this…

Typos

Thanks! Fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Feb 25th 2020)

For what it’s worth, I think I’ve calculated that

[S 5,BString c 2(4)](/2) 3 [S^5,B String^{c_2}(4)] \simeq (\mathbb{Z}/2)^3

so that if your M5-brane is topologically a sphere, there are eight possible “sectors” for BString c 2(4)B String^{c_2}(4)-bundles on it. Does this show up in the physics?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2020
    • (edited Feb 26th 2020)

The relation to “the physics” is this:

1) in the bottom part of the big diagram the slicing over BSpin(8)B Spin(8) is what enforces the relation between the C-field and the field of gravity, which is the anomaly cancellation conditions, such as that [G 4+14p 1][G_4 +\tfrac{1}{4}p_1] is integral.

2) the precomposition of that with the Borel-equivariant Hopf fibration encodes the relative shifted trivialization of the C-field on the M5-worldvolume

The commutativity of the outer diagram follows, and hence the map to BString c 2(4)B String^{c_2}(4) (for instance as an element in [S 5,BString c 2(4)][S^5, B String^{c_2}(4)]) is determined by these two physics conditions: anomaly cancellation and relative trivialization of the C-field. These together serve to single out that twisted string class.

So what you might want to check is this:

If we fix the worldvolume topology Σ \Sigma but allow the target 8-manifold X 8X^8 to vary, to which extent does the twisted String class on Σ \Sigma vary? That would be interesting to know!

• CommentRowNumber6.

anomaly cancellation and relative trivialization of the C-field. These together serve to single out that twisted string class.

hmm, that’s not as deep as I was thinking. :-)

If we fix the worldvolume topology Σ \Sigma but allow the target 8-manifold X 8X^8 to vary, to which extent does the twisted String class on Σ \Sigma vary? That would be interesting to know!

Hmm, yes, that would be interesting. I guess you mean not just X 8X^8 but the embedding ϕ:Σ 2,1×X 8\phi\colon \Sigma \to \mathbb{R}^{2,1} \times X^8? And maybe also bb?

• CommentRowNumber7.

hmm, that’s not as deep as I was thinking. :-)

let me rephrase that. What I was thinking was that is in principle possible for someone to have done some kind of toy-model calculation for a spherical M5-brane on a specific target space, and applying the anomaly cancellation and shifted trivialisation conditions, found three independent configurations (corresponding to the three factors of (/2) 3)(\mathbb{Z}/2)^3). One might expect such configurations to have more concrete interpretations from a physics point of view. Or maybe I’m being too naive, and the sort of “realistic” target 8-manifolds don’t particularly support M5-branes of that shape.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

it is in principle possible for someone to have done some kind of toy-model calculation

Yes, since it hit the arXiv 11 hours ago.

Be the first.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Isn’t the worldvolume of the M5-brane of dimension 6? Why the 5-sphere?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

David R. is thinking of Σ= 0,1×S 5\Sigma = \mathbb{R}^{0,1} \times S^5.

• CommentRowNumber11.

I would be happy to make some small contribution, but I fear that I would be missing any crucial physical that may rule out my simplistic approach. Also, I wouldn’t quite know how to put such an idea is the language that M-theorists would be used to. Also, having a sensible and motivated target space in which to place the spherical M5-brane, along the lines of something already in the literature. I guess at the least one would want X 8X^8 to have nontrivial π 5\pi_5, so as to wrap an M5-brane of this form around it, and better, have a factor of something like 6{0}\mathbb{R}^6 \setminus \{0\}. But I know X 8X^8 is usually something rather rich

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

On the contrary. The mathematical formulation allows to run without bothering about the folklore.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Feb 26th 2020)

Just idling about, I came across Hitchin’s SL(2) over the octonions where he mentions (p. 13) a couple of fibrations arising for quaternionic reasons that I hadn’t seen yet

S 3×S 3Sp(2)S4S^3 \times S^3 \to Sp(2) \to S4, S 3Sp(2)S 7S^3 \to Sp(2) \to S^7.

Feels like the second at least is in the vicinity.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 26th 2020)

Oh, but the second of these is the fiber of the projection map of the coset space realization Sp(2)/Sp(1)S 7Sp(2)/Sp(1) \simeq S^7; and the first composes that with the quaternionic Hopf fibration.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Well, I can mock something up and run it by you, to see if you think it would pass muster in arXiv:hep-th

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2020

Re #14, oh yes, of course.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2020

Does that idea of Atiyah and Witten to look at M-theory on G 2G_2-manifolds in relation to M-theory on the 8-manifold HP 2\mathbf{H P}^2, in the section on confinement, point perhaps to a broader relationship between M-theory on G2-manifolds and M-theory on 8-manifolds, something that could plug into the work you’ve done here?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

An insightful discussion of the relation between 7d G 2G_2-structure and 8d Spin(7)Spin(7)-structure is in arXiv:1405.3698

[ I am on vacation with family for a few days, back next week ]

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

Thanks. Enjoy your break.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2020
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2020)

For what it’s worth, what I mentioned in #15 is now available here: Topological sectors for heterotic M5-brane charges under Hypothesis H (unstable link, ok for a few months). Thanks to Urs for lots of discussion and useful references. [edit: fixed link, it broke when updating to an edited version]