Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    • (edited Apr 19th 2010)

I gave Serving MathML a workout by copying a fairly intense nLab page. For the most part, it went without a hitch. I think it might get a little confused about adjacent ampersands or something. I don’t know why some Unknown Characters.

Note: It didn’t like the asterisk for bullet points, so I had to put them in manually. Oh! Maybe I should have been using the HTML version of the editor instead of Visual.

There are some other minor rendering issues, e.g. itex within bullet points doesn’t seem to work.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric

My mistake. The asterisk DOES work, but the CSS replaced the bullet I was expecting with >>. When I used Visual to add bullets manually, it broke the itex. It is fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Also, it seems non-ASCII wikilinks do not work.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Should probably link to it so everyone else knows what you are talking about: http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Vanilla/WPMathML

I’m beginning to suspect that your browser sends random unicode spacing characters. What system are you using (OS, Browser)?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I pasted that nLab material from home using Windows Vista and Firefox.

• CommentRowNumber6.

And did you get that nLab material from looking at the “Edit” page of the nLab page, or from the “Source” view?

I’m sufficiently intrigued by this behaviour that I might just fire up Vista myself to see if I can replicate it. The point is that when I copied out, letter for letter, what you’d pasted in then it compiled just fine. Somewhere in what you pasted is a hidden unicode character that itex doesn’t like. That shouldn’t happen, but it’s something I’ve seen before quite recently ….

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I copied from “Edit” page. It could also be an issue with “Visual” vs “HTML” editor in Wordpress. I think I might have originally pasted everything with the “Visual” editor. Not sure though.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

Replying to Ian’s question in the comments at Serving MathML and repeated in the nLab digest thread:

I’m not sure whether or not the itex filter would work at wordpress.com. I’ve no experience with setting up something there and so don’t know if one has sufficient control over things to make the necessary changes. In particular, one needs to be able to create a cache of the MathML (unless one can use the php bindings for the itex2MML library directly, but I doubt that that is possible). Also, there were a couple of validation errors which necessitated changing the actual wordpress code. Technically, these are bugs in Wordpress so ought to be fixed. However, as people using wordpress.com probably aren’t bothered about serving valid XHTML, I don’t know how highly they’d rate.

I’d certainly be interested in the experiment being done, but I’m concentrating on the nForum at the moment (since that’s a live installation) and there are a few upgrades that I’ve not ported over to the wordpress installation. In particular, the option to serve PNG, SVG, or MathML as appropriate would be nice but that’s not over there yet.

Is there anything stopping you installing wordpress on your own infrastructure?

(Also, I apologise for not replying earlier to your question. I’m not really following the comments on the wordpress installation as it’s not a “real” site whereas this one is. So when I spot a bug here, I do my best to fix it straightaway, but when I spot a bug there, I think “I must get round to that someday.”. Similarly with comments, a comment here is more likely to elicit a response from me than one there.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

Looking at the differences between wordpress.com and wordpress.org, I’d say that the answer was at best “Not yet” and at worst “No”. To get the itex plugin working at wordpress.com, you’d have to request that the validation bugs be fixed (which, although low priority, is not an unreasonable request), that the mathmlised theme be installed, and that the itex plugin be installed. I don’t know how amenable wordpress.com is to installing other themes or plugins and whether such suggestions are likely to succeed or not.

No harm in asking them, I suppose!