Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2020

Added a theorem with a reference.

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2021

When discussing the alternative notion of distributivity for sound doctrines, this page says

See Appendix A in AR for a comparison of this definition to the above explicit definition.

But I haven’t been able to find such a comparison in the cited appendix. It seems to me that the appendix just mentions that their sound-doctrine notion of distributivity is distinct from the notion of commutativity. Am I missing something?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2021

Rewrote a confusing paragraph:

See Appendix A in AR for a comparison of this definition to the above explicit definition in the special case of distributivity of filtered colimits over small limits in locally finitely presentable categories and distributivity of sifted colimits over small limits in varieties of algebras.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2021

Re #2: Example A.4 in the cited paper does talk about the special case of the doctrine of filtered colimits in some detail:

Example A.4. In every lfp category filtered colimits distribute over products. This was already proved by Artin, Grothendieck and Verdier in [10]. To verify this, recall the following description of Ind K from [18]: objects are all small filtered diagrams D : D → K. Morphisms into another filtered diagram ¯D : ¯D → K are compatible families of equivalence classes [fd]d∈obj D of morphisms fd : Dd → ¯Dd′, d′ ∈ obj ¯D, under the smallest equivalence ∼ with fd ∼ D¯u · fd for every morphism ¯u : d′ → d′′ in ¯D. Compatibility means that for every morphism v : d1 → d2 in D we have fd1 ∼ fd2 · Dv. Now a product in Ind K is easy to describe: given objects Di : Di → K for i ∈ I, their product is the filtered diagram D : i∈I Di → K, D(di)i∈I =i∈I Didi And in every lfp category the colimit of D is canonically given by the product of colimits of Di, i ∈ Ij, see e.g. [8], proof of 2.1. Now, distributivity of filtered colimits in K over products means that K has both, and that given filtered diagrams Di (i ∈ i) we have colim D =i∈I colim Di

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2021

The original definition is due to Jan-Erik Roos, see Definition 1 in

• Jan-Erik Roos, Introduction à l’étude de la distributivité des foncteurs lim par rapport aux lim dans les catégories des faisceaux (topos), Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l’Académie des Sciences 259 (1964), 969–972. roos-distributivity.pdf:file.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Was the PDF of Roos’s paper meant to be uploaded to the nLab? I wasn’t able to find a copy elsewhere.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

It was uploaded, but the link-to-uploaded-file-functionality does not work here on the nForum.

You can see the working link on the nLab page here, it’s at ncatlab.org/nlab/files/roos-distributivity.pdf

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2022

Add additional references for Roos papers.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • (edited May 30th 2022)

I managed to find the first two Roos papers on the CRAS archive (Gallica), but I couldn’t find the third one, despite having a page reference. If someone could find it, I’d be grateful if you could add the link to the page.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Added a hyperlink for the third paper by Roos.

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2022

In the case of presentation of ind-objects and pro-objects as formal limits or colimits of (co)representables, a corollary is that there is a functor

Ind(Pro(C))Pro(Ind(C)) Ind(Pro(C))\to Pro(Ind(C))

which is in some interesting cases inclusion.

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2023
    • (edited Sep 5th 2023)

Spelled out the A×(B+C)=(A×B)+(A×C)A \times (B + C) = (A \times B) + (A \times C) example from the introduction.

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2023

I have given your addition an Example-environment (here) to make the already terse text more easily navigatable

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2024

Added (perhaps a separate article might be needed eventually for the (∞,1)-case:

Distributivity of (∞,1)-limits over (∞,1)-colimits

The condition that small (∞,1)-limits distribute over (∞,1)-filtered (∞,1)-colimits precisely characterizes compactly assembled (∞,1)-categories among all presentable (∞,1)-categories.

diff, v37, current