Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2020

Following his passing yesterday from Covid-19, I have added a bit more on his contributions that are relevant to the nPOV.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

What’s your source for the cause of death?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

his death only seems to be on twitter now

Sam Wang at Princeton

https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/1249132655737790464

I am sorry to confirm the passing of my colleague John Conway. An incomparable mathematician, a pleasant neighbor, and an excellent coffee acquaintance.

His passing was sudden (fever started only Wednesday morning). Part of coronavirus’s hard toll in New Jersey.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yeah. Careful with Twitter rumours. It could be true. Or not.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2020

It’s on Wikipedia now, with sources.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2020

Wikipedia only points to a Dutch newspaper article. That seems less reliable even than the original tweet, whose author at least seemed to have had some first hand information.

Clearly it doesn’t matter here either way.

But I find it disconcerting that in a most extraordinary situation which is all predicated on sorting out a subtle empirical analysis X, people feel at ease with throwing around assertions of X based on nothing.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    I first met John Conway while he was manning a stall for the Archimedeans at the beginning-of-the-year student fair in the Guildhall in Cambridge. He was demonstrating a computer, built of string and meccano, that had to be fed ball-bearings. I think it was 1957. One of the first mathematical lollipops he showed me was a very slick proof that a triangle of nonzero area whose sides were in rational proportion and whose angles were in rational proportion must be equilateral. Hint: the cyclotomic field of N-th roots of unity has \phi(N) automorphisms. But ruler-and-compass construction shows that there can only be 2 triangles with given sides. So N has to be 3 times a power of 2. In those days it was knots and sphere-packing. Later came games. For years he had a running exchange of puzzles with someone in the North of England who made them as toys. He was very hands-on: popper beads for demonstrating knots and links, and strange wooden devices for calculating the touching-graph of circle-packings using pennies and a ruler to shove them up tight. The last time I saw him not in the Mill Lane maths department tearoom he was tiling his kitchen floor with Penrose kites and darts. My mother used to babysit his daughters. Some of the faculty at Cambridge thought that he was a disturbing influence on their students; not serious enough. --Gavin Wraith
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2020

Thank you, Gavin, for your reminiscences. I think everyone who came into contact with Conway came away astonished at the sparkle and effervescence of his genius.

1. Taking the liberty of adding Gavin Wraith’s reminiscences to the entry. Broke it up into a few paragraphs; feel free to edit!

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2020

Not to be confused with John B. Conway, the analyst.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Moved the disambiguation line to the top of the article as is standard on the nLab.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber13.

Renamed the page to indicate the full name. Added redirects.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber14.

Something strange happened: TeX commands like \section{…} no longer work in this article. They did work in the previous versions.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Thanks, Dmitri.

Control characters in the first line often break things. For this reason, I always put a blank line at the beginning (and end) of every article. This seems to have fixed things here.