Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    • (edited Apr 27th 2010)

Before we had the n-Forum, I tried to start a discussion on the nLab on the subject of Kantization

An Exercise in Kantization

It quickly became obvious that the nLab is not a great place to have a discussion, but now that we have the n-Forum, I thought I would try again here.

If someone could help by giving a roadmap of concepts I need to learn before I can grok Kantization, I’d appreciate it.

Motivation

Recently, Johan Alm wrote a very neat paper

The paper proves an aspect of

suggested by Urs Schreiber. A summary of Alm’s paper with many motivating references is provided here.

This page represents an experiment similar to the Journal Club’s effort to understand the papers

• IntTrans David Ben-Zvi, John Francis, David Nadler, Integral transforms and Drinfeld Centers in Derived Geometry (arXiv)

• CharTheo David Ben-Zvi, David Nadler, The Character Theory of a Complex Group (arXiv)

The goal is to build up, step-by-step, the background knowledge required to understand Alm’s paper. The finite model considered is simple enough that we hope to advance our understanding of elementary concepts that are mostly taken for granted by the experts here at n-Headquarters.

When we are done, we hope to have a complete, self-contained presentation that should be accessible to mildly sophisticated undergraduate physics and mathematics students.

We also hope that the experts will keep an eye on us and when we get stuck, might gently nudge us in the right direction. As always, this page is open to all. Any questions or contributions are more than welcome.

References

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    • (edited Nov 25th 2010)

Most of the entry is still a long discussion between Eric and others on a concept of Kan extension per se. I'd like to have that discussion separated into nForum and then the entry expanded more toward the very Kantization idea. (So far I am not competent to write it.)

As far as the general topic of Feynman path integrals I have uploaded the rarely available proceedings article of Robbin and Salamon as RobbinSalamonPhaseFunctionsPathIntegrals.djvu:file (the link does not work!!). This should work: http://ncatlab.org/nlab/files/RobbinSalamonPhaseFunctionsPathIntegrals.djvu. I first tried to upload it on my personal nlab and it told me that it is 150 kb and that the limit is 100kb so I needed to do it in main nlab. Then I uploaded it first with error (few pages were missing) and replaced it by going back to the upload page and now the link here shows as if the file does not exist, but it does -- if you press on questionmark all is OK. On my page there is a doi to sequel paper of Robbin and Salamon.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Nov 25th 2010)

@Zoran The second link worked for me. It required me to save and then djvu worked on that. (I only know their work on the Conley index. )

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    Yes, the second works, and the first works from nlab but not from nForum for some reason.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

Several years on, what’s the retrospective view on this kantization idea? Did it all get taken up within motivic quantization?

I ask since following the development by Mike of an enriched homology over here, I was reminded of those old conversations on path integrals and groupoid cardinality/Leinster measure, as in Urs’s paper and then Johan Alm’s Quantization as a Kan extension.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

I haven’t looked at this old stuff since then. One thing that we were after is a conceptualization of what is now well understood as the pull-push formula for quantization of Dijkgraaf-Witten theory. And yes, the motivic quantization idea generalizes this ways from the finite case.

But these old entries on Kantization should just be removed. To the extent that there is something worthwhile in them, it must have been superceded meanwhile.