Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    • (edited Apr 28th 2010)

Added quadrability of a cospan (and coquadrability of a span) as well as quadrability/coquadrability of a category C. The word "quadrable" means "squarable", but "squarable" isn't a real word. The word "quadrable" is the proper translation of the French "carrable".

Note that while the translation "quadrable" is uncommon, the term "carrable" in French is standard.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I edited the entry a bit:

• added an Idea-section;

• renamed the ambient category from CC to 𝒞\mathcal{C} so that the symbol doesn’t collide with that for its objects, AA, BB, CC;

• linked to it from span and cospan, so that there is a chance that people find this entry.

It would be good if you could include a reference that uses the terminology “quadrable”.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Apr 28th 2010)

I've only seen the term "carrable" in French (It's in Toen's cours 2 of Toen's notes for example, but if you search for it on google, you will find that it's standard terminology in french). The corresponding word in English is "quadrable" (according to the dictionary). If you want to change it to "squarable", then I don't mind that either, but "quadrable" is proper English, while "squarable" isn't.

I've seen "carrable" used in English as well, citing the French term, but there is no reason why we shouldn't translate it.

In conclusion, you can change the term to any of the three "quadrable", "squarable", or "carrable," although I prefer the first one, but I don't really care if you change it to what you prefer. I've provided a correct definition, and the page is complete enough for anyone who would look up the definition, so if you'd like to add anything else (or change the page), be my guest.

(Perhaps a redirect for carrable and squarable would be in order as well.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In conclusion, you can change the term to any of the three “quadrable”, “squarable”, or “carrable,” although I prefer the first one.

I think the important thing is that we have this remark on terminology in the nLab entry. I’ll put it in there now.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Apr 28th 2010)

I object to the use of the term presheaf category, because it is not taking values in sets.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

okay, if you wish, I make it “functor category”.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I also made a mistake when I was changing around the page (in particular, in giving the map *_F, I forgot to add an ^op over Sp in the second [Sp,C] of the boxes(I had originally written everything dually)). I would fix it, but it seems like you're still editing it

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I am done editing now (got distracted by something else in the middle of it). Please go over it.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Apr 28th 2010)

Alright, I fixed a few typos (that I made), and it looks good to me now.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Thanks. Funny to me that the French have a common word for this, but the English have never felt the need for it. (I certainly never have.) I’d be more inclined to name the page quadrable cospan, thoughts?

• CommentRowNumber11.

Well, it would be completely pointless to make coquadrable span and quadrable cospan and (co)-quadrability of a category all separate articles. This title gives you all things quadrable!

Anyway, a filter on a poset is a quadrable upper set. In fact, the reason that I wrote this entry was so I could say that.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Of course, what I meant was that I would be inclined to make the title of the page “quadrable cospan” with “quadrability” a redirect, rather than vice versa. I think our usual convention is to name pages after things in mathematics, rather than properties.

I would be inclined to regard that definition of a filter as making simple things difficult, but YMMV. (-: I think it’s also wrong in that it doesn’t require the filter to be nonempty, and even then it only agrees with the usual definition if your poset is upwards-directed, since otherwise not every pair of elements can be completed to a cospan.

• CommentRowNumber13.

I think it's also wrong in that it doesn't require the filter to be nonempty, and even then it only agrees with the usual definition if your poset is upwards-directed, since otherwise not every pair of elements can be completed to a cospan.

True.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh

If you want to change it to “squarable”, then I don’t mind that either, but “quadrable” is proper English, while “squarable” isn’t.

I don’t really care what it’s called, but what’s improper about “squarable”?

• CommentRowNumber15.

It's not a word! Quadrable is the word meaning squarable!

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    • (edited Apr 28th 2010)

Exclamation points notwithstanding, I guess I don’t understand what the argument is that “it’s not a word”. I mean, it’s a term that people frequently use, with various clear (albeit context-dependent) agreed-upon meanings… It seems to me there’s all the same kinds of evidence for “squarable” being a word as there is for “quadrable” or even, say, “functor” being words (not that I would consider it to take terribly much for a thing to “be a word”). As far as I’m concerned, “quadrable” and “squarable” are synonyms. But, whatever; I don’t terribly care. I was just curious what the reasoning was.

• CommentRowNumber17.

No, quadrable is in the dictionary!

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I was just curious what the reasoning was.

I suppose Harry is just indulging in advanced procrastination of his homework. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber19.

I suppose Harry is just indulging in advanced procrastination of his homework. ;-)

If procrastination were a marketable skill, I probably still wouldn't make money for it because I'd procrastinate until I hit the deadline for filling out the paperwork.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

For what it’s worth, “quadrable” sounds much better to my ears than “squarable”. I keep wanting to say “scrabble” or some such other mangling: the “r” in the middle gets slurred when I try to say it. Both would be fantastic scrabble words, of course (you’d have to do something like starting with “able” and extending left).

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

Yes, they’d be good Scrabble words all right – but the fact they’re both nine letters long is pretty inconvenient. Probably an expert wouldn’t leave -able along a triple word line! :-)

• CommentRowNumber22.

Since when have mathematicians ever been bothered by calling something by a word that isn’t in the dictionary? Some of the best words in mathematics aren’t in the dictionary – if you make up your own word, you can be sure no one has ever used it to mean something else before!

• CommentRowNumber23.

Since when have mathematicians ever been bothered by calling something by a word that isn't in the dictionary? Some of the best words in mathematics aren't in the dictionary -- if you make up your own word, you can be sure no one has ever used it to mean something else before!

Because it's the correct translation of the french word "carrable"! I'm not going to change it, but if you feel compelled to change it, go ahead. Just know that I'll hate you forever for it :'(

=p

• CommentRowNumber24.

hey, I’m just joking around here. I like quadrable better than squarable; squarable sounds to me like a number xx such that x 2x^2 exists. But if I liked squarable better, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it despite its not being in the dictionary. (-:

• CommentRowNumber25.

hey, I'm just joking around here.

What a coincidence, me too! =)

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorlemastero
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2019

Link: http://www.math.univ-toulouse.fr/~toen/m2.html is invalid. There is no webpage of Bertrand Toen at Toulouse.

Changed to: https://perso.math.univ-toulouse.fr/btoen/files/2015/02/cours2.pdf and name of the course to mach info from Bertrand Toen home page (https://perso.math.univ-toulouse.fr/btoen/videos-lecture-notes-etc/).

Add reference to André Joyal publication Notes on Clans and Tribes that define and uses carrable rather than quadrable.

diff, v7, current