Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    • (edited May 3rd 2010)

Eric wanted to know about closed functors, so we started a page. Probably somebody has written about these before, so references would be nice, if anybody knows them. (Google gives some hits that look promising, but I can’t read them now.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Maybe it’s time to add a definition to closed category.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

We could - shock, horror! - ask on MO if anyone’s heard about the concept.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

well, the basic idea is simple enough and in each given case probably easily fine-tuned. But I don’t know what precisely Eilenberg-Kelly considered in their article referenced at closed category, since I haven’t seen that.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone on MO is just going to refer to the Eilenberg-Kelly article in the La Jolla conference volume. (They won’t go to the bother of drawing up the commutative diagrams.) Anyway, I’m pretty sure we can do this ourselves. I may get around to it later tonight (US East Coast time).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I have the Eilenberg-Kelly article, which defines closed functors and closed natural transformations. I can put them up later tonight (US Central time).

• CommentRowNumber7.

Cool - thanks, Mike!

• CommentRowNumber8.

Definitions are in place at closed category, closed functor, and closed natural transformation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Thanks! Is that paper old enough that we can make it available?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    Yes, thanks. Added remarks to closed category and closed functor.

Eric, not sure what you mean by "old enough". The conference took place in 1965 IIRC, and the proceedings are dated 1966. Both authors are deceased, but the publisher may still hold the rights -- don't really know. I think by now the paper is mainly of historical significance.
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Todd: I don’t know much about rights, etc, but I imagine that a journal can only “hold the rights” to a publication for a certain period of time until it becomes public domain. After that point, I think we can probably distribute it freely. Not sure though. I’d love to have a look at the paper even if it is only of historical significance at this point. I love reading old papers :)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks to Mike and Todd!

Hm, interesting that every closed category embeds as a full subcategory of a symmetric monoidal one. Is there an analogous statement for monoidal categories? (Let me see, is that obvious?….)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 4th 2010)

I gave the LaPlaza theorem its own Properties-subsection.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    Urs #12: not symmetric monoidal, just monoidal. Also, every monoidal category embeds in a monoidal (bi)closed category, by Day convolution.
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

not symmetric monoidal, just monoidal.

Hm, did I say symmetric? Apparently I did.

also every monoidal category embeds in a monoidal (bi)closed category, by Day convolution.

Ah, of course. I knew that! Thanks for reminding me.

• CommentRowNumber16.

According to wikipedia, the paper is probably not yet in the public domain (and if Congress continues extending the duration of copyright, it may never be).

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Following the general rule that everything useful being said here should be archived in one way or other on the nLab, I created a section Properties at monoidal category and made explicit the statement that every small monoidal category embeds monoidally into a closed monoidal one.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I started also a section Properties at Day convolution, but have to interrupt now and take care of something else….