Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

The following was a private email to Marta Bunge over some discussion on the category theory mailing list recently. She kindly gave me permission to post it to the list, and I’m putting it here so I can then later make an nlab page or two out of it

Hi Marta,

The passage I quoted was from Eduardo Dubuc - I was being a bit slack in not attributing the quote.

Secondly, in your original message, you wrote something relevant to one of the questions I have been trying to give an answer to – namely, whether there is a construction of the paths version of the fundamental localic groupoid of a Grothendieck topos in the non locally connected case, considering that there is one such for the coverings version of it.

So you are wanting a construction of the localic Π 1(Sh(x))\Pi_1(Sh(x)) from Joyal-Tierney in terms of paths, whatever “paths” means? If so, that is about the gist of what I was wondering too.

You mentioned counterexamples to previous attempts. Could you be more precise about such (misguided) attempts and to the counterexamples?

Here goes.

The ’topological fundamental group’, π 1 top(X,x)\pi_1^{top}(X,x) is the space ΩX/\Omega X /\sim of loops at xx, mod the relation of homotopy as usual for the fundamental group. The underlying set is that of the ordinary fundamental group. Various people, including Bliss

D. K. Bliss, The topological fundamental group and generalized covering spaces, Topology Appl., 124(3) (2002), 355-371

have wrongly assumed that the product given by concatenation of loops is continuous, and so π 1 top(X,x)\pi_1^{top}(X,x) is a topological group. This is not necessarily the case, as the proof relies on the assumption that a product of identification maps is again an identification map. This is not always true in the category of all topological spaces with the usual product (but I believe it is true in the category of locally compact Hausdorff spaces - I think this is in Brown’s paper ’Ten topologies for X×YX \times Y’). It does leave open the question as to whether or not there are spaces where the product is discontinuous, and in the paper

J. Brazas, The topological fundamental group and hoop earring spaces, 2009, arXiv:0910.3685

the author constructs a class of counterexamples as follows (I haven’t personally checked this):

Let XX be a totally path-disconnnected Hausdorff space, X +X_+ the same with a disjoint basepoint, and then consider the suspension ΣX +\Sigma X_+ with basepoint **. Then the author shows that π 1 top(ΣX +,*)\pi_1^top(\Sigma X_+,*) is T 1T_1 but if XX is not a regular space, π 1 top(ΣX +,*)\pi_1^top(\Sigma X_+,*) is not regular, hence not a topological group.

It is true that π 1 top\pi_1^{top} is a functor from Top to the category of quasi-topological groups: that is, topological groups minus the condition that multiplication is continuous, only that left and right multiplication L gL_g, R gR_g is continuous in each element gg.

It seems to me to be immediate that there is a ’quasi-topological fundamental groupoid’, where left and right composition by any path is continuous, but not the whole composition map

G 1× G 0 2G 1G 1.G_1 \times_{G_0^2} G_1 \to G_1.

One could then consider a (suitable) category of sheaves on this groupoid and see what arises.

Do you mind if I cross post this to the categories mailing list, in case others are curious about details?

Kind regards,

David

• CommentRowNumber2.

I’ve also got some notes about generalising quasitopological groupoids to quasi-C groupoids for C either a concrete category or a (subcanonnical) site. The latter is much more conjectural, and I don’t know if it is good for anything, but people here may be able to make something of it. The question of sheaves on a quasi-C groupoid seems to be a mildly interesting one, perhaps, as I mention above.

• CommentRowNumber3.

One thing which intrigues me is whether sheaves on a quasitopological or quasi-C groupoid form a topos. This would have great bearing on the problem considered by Marta and myself (we aren’t working together on this, it’s just Zeitgeist I imagine).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    'Quasitopological' reminds me of Spanier's quasitopological spaces, which are of course an entirely different matter. Whose terminology is 'quasitopological' in the present instance?
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 4th 2010)

Let XX be a totally path-disconnnected Hausdorff space, X +X_+ the same with a disjoint basepoint, and then consider the suspension ΣX +\Sigma X_+

What would be a simple nontrivial example of this?

• CommentRowNumber6.

You don’t want too trivial, I guess, otherwise any discrete space is an example. My guess is X={1/n|n1}X = \{ 1/n | n \ge 1\} and then I think ΣX +\Sigma X_+ is the Hawaiian earring. The real trick is to come up with a non-regular totally path-disconnected Hausdorff space. I’ve just asked at MathOverflow.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Whose terminology is ’quasitopological’ in the present instance?

Bourbaki: General Topology Vol 1.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    • (edited May 5th 2010)

OK, got an answer: take the real line with the K-topology (whatever that is) and then X=X = \mathbb{Q} with the subspace topology from this.

Edit: from Wikipedia

… let K={1/n|n1}K = \{1/n | n \ge 1 \}. Generate a topology on \mathbb{R} by taking as basis all open intervals (a,b)(a, b) and all sets of the form (a,b)K(a,b)-K.

This topology is the K-topology.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This topology is the K-topology.

What about K-topology?

• CommentRowNumber10.

Done. Thanks for the prod, I’d meant to do it, honestly, but was trying to get ready for work this morning and missed my train anyway :)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 5th 2010)

Thanks, David!

I added (guess what…) a toc. And also linked to K-topology from real number. From a new stub section Topologies. Please improve that subsection.