Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-categories 2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science connection constructive constructive-mathematics cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality education elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundations functional-analysis functor galois-theory gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic manifolds mathematics measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    • (edited May 5th 2010)

seeing Eric create diffeology I became annoyed by the poor state that the entry diffeological space was in. So I spent some minutes expanding and editing it. Still far from perfect, but a step in the right direction, I think.

(One day I should add details on how the various sites in use are equivalent to using CartSp)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

I have expanded the Properties-section at diffeological space:

• added the statement and proof of the full and faithful embedding of smooth manifolds into diffeological spaces;

• split off a section of the properties of the ambient sheaf topos and how diffeological spaces sit inside there.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I created Boman’s theorem and added the link to the embedding proof on diffeological space (also corrected a couple of minor typos in the vicinity).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I created Boman’s theorem

Thanks! I was scanning your articles for it, but didn’t see it. Then I thought about it and figured that it is easy to prove (isn’t it? one needs to show that for each higher partial derivatives of a function one can find a curve such that the composite’s nn-fold total derivative involves as a summand the partial derivatives in question. But that’s obvious.)

I have added that to the list of theorems in the floating differential geometry TOC.

also corrected a couple of minor typos in the vicinity

Thanks! I found some more ;-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

it is easy to prove

Not sure. I’ve not worked through the details myself. The proof in Kriegl and Michor is about a page long.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    • (edited Jan 20th 2011)

At diffeological space I have added the remark that the statement proven there, that smooth manifolds embed fully faithfully in diffeological spaces, is a direct consequence of the fact that CartSpCartSp is a dense sub-site of DiffDiff and then of the Yoneda lemma.

One can see that this is effectively what the previous proof checks in a pedestrian fashion, but it is maybe useful to have the general abstract version, too.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    • (edited Jan 25th 2011)

I have added more of the original references to the References-section at diffeological space.

Andrew, when you have a second, maybe have a look to see if my attributions are precise.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

added also

(with just a pointer to a reference for the moment)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013

added also the embedding of locally convex vector spaces by cor 3.14 in Kriegl-Michor

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    • (edited Mar 13th 2013)

Patrick Iglesias-Zemmour kindly pointed out to me by email that the latest version of this book Diffeology now contains, around exercise 72, a discussion of how Banach manifolds faithfully embed into diffeological spaces. So I have now added brief pointers to Banach manifold and to the relevant section of diffeological space. (This really deserves to be expanded on, but I don’t have the time.)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorpiz
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
    Hi There,

Urs pointed to me this forum/thread. So I will give some precisions about what he said above.

I look sometimes to the diffeological spaces item in nLab, to stay informed :-) Last time I discovered the article, posted by Urs, about Banach manifolds and the pointer to the 1977 Hain's paper, I didn't know about it. On the other hand, a few months ago, the referee of the AMS asked me to clarify, in the book Diffeology, the relationship between Banach manifolds and diffeology, what I did and that question became the exercise 72 of the book. Using Boman's theorem the solution of exercise takes a few lines. So, I was surprised to see Hain's paper so long, having a brief look inside it seemed to me that Hain proves first a kind of Boman theorem, in his paper, but Boman theorem is from 1967 if I don't mistake. So why Hain didn't use Boman theorem ? This is my question. Or I am wrong and I missed something ? But I have no time now to investigate this question, I'm doing something else. If someone is interested in and has time to look into it, he just sends me an email and I'll send him back a pdf of the last and final version of the book to check the exercise and compare with Hain's paper.

BTW, thanks again to a question of the referee of the book (this guy has been very helpful), I added an exercise related to Frolicher spaces and diffeology: with Yael Karshon we introduced the concept of reflexive diffeological space, it happens that this subcategory is isomorphic with the category of Frölicher spaces. It's the exercise 80. For the ones interested in that question about Frölicher/diffeology.

Best,

Patrick I-Z
    piz@math.huji.ac.il
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014

The entry diffeology didn't seem to serve any purpose, so now it redirects to diffeological space. (If somebody wants to revive it, its edit history is at diffeology > history.)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015

I’ve added a comment that Frölicher proved the full and faithful embedding of (paracompact) Fréchet spaces into diffeological spaces in 1981, and in fact I think he proved paracompact Fréchet manifolds also embed fully faithfully, but he has a funny extra condition to link with some functional/sequential notion of smoothness (see théorème 2 on this page)

• CommentRowNumber15.

On a different note, I’m not sure that convenient spaces do embed into diffeological spaces. My reading of corollary 3.14 at mentioned at #10 above is that it is just Boman’s theorem, and that the c c^\infty notion of smoothness agrees with the usual notion on cartesian spaces.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for further looking into this! This is useful.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

Finally cleared this up. There is a faithful but non-full functor from lctvs into diffeological spaces, if we take MB-smooth maps as morphisms between the former, since there are non-continuous conveniently smooth maps. I still don’t know if diffeological isomorphisms are MB-smooth, though. I added to the page a reference to Gloecker’s counterexamples, and clarification about what is meant by smooth maps between lcvts.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2018

added pointer to Patrick Iglesias-Zemmour’s lecture notes Iglesias-Zemmour 18

diff, v57, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018
    • (edited Jun 16th 2018)

I have considerably trimmed down the section Embedding of diffeological spaces into smooth sets. It used to contain a proof that Sh(CartSp)Sh(CartSp) is cohesive, and had the result announced in its title only hidden somewhere in that discussion. But the cohesion of smooth sets should instead be discussed there, and so I removed it here and instead included (a complete rewrite of) the proof there.

Here I only kept the actual statement that diffeological spaces are the concrete smooth sets, with the minimum indication of the proof that used to be here. Below that I added pointer to a completely (maybe pedantically) detailed proof, which is now at this Prop. in geometry of physics – smooth sets.

diff, v59, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)