Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    • (edited May 6th 2010)

Over on the nCafe some Thomas asks

Conc. “Triangulated categories in algebraic geometry”, was Grothendieck not unsatisfied with triangulated categories and suggested “derivatuers”? How is the current state of those and which applications could they have in algebraic geometry?

I can’t reply there for some reason. My speculation is that the number of hyperlinks in my reply is triggering the spam filtern. So I post my reply here and point Thomas to it.

Here goes:

Thomas said:

Conc. “Triangulated categories in algebraic geometry”, was Grothendieck not unsatisfied with triangulated categories …

Yes, so an triangulated category is the decategorification of a (oo,1)-category that is stable – stable under forming loop space object and suspension objects, that is. The shift functor in the triangulated category is the decategorified shadow of these canonical suspension operations. The “triangles” in the triangulated category are the decategorification shadow of the fiber sequences in the (oo,1)-category.

As always, applying decategorification is a bad idea and destroys lots of data. That’s why everybody hates it. (But just like other destructive deeds, everbody nevertheless often does it.)

On the other hand, for a long time various notions of enhanced triangulated categories have been used, which are now understood to be equivalent to the full (oo,1)-categorical incarnation.

…and suggested “derivatuers”?

That is not specific to triangulated categories, but is generally a method for handling (oo,1)-categories. See derivator.

How is the current state of those and which applications could they have in algebraic geometry?

The current state is that algebraic geometry is completely undoing all secret decategorification and therefore now calls itself derived algebraic geometry. Stable (oo,1)-categories (or one of their enhanced triangulated incarnations) are everywhere.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010

Although derivators do work pretty well for dealing with the stable/triangulated case, and I expect that it was that case that Grothendieck etc. had primarily in mind when developing them.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Urs said:

an triangulated category is the decategorification of a (oo,1)-category that is stable

Not every triangulated category is topological! That is not every Verdier triangulated category comes from a category enriched in spectra. Hence this is not true in general. There is a hierarchy

Puppe triangulated category (most general) Verdier triangulated category (require octahedron) strongly triangulated category (higher analogues of octahedra, Neeman, Maltsiniotis) topological triang. cat. // coming from spectra enriched/stable category algebraic triangulated categories //coming from dg or AS infinity

One coudl add between algebraic and topological the hypothetical case of algebraic over F_1.

triangulated category says

An intermediate notion, which contains a good deal of this information, is a derivator.

what is strange as we agreed that most likely the derivator and stable infinity category in the case which is related to enhancing the usual triangulated categories give the same information.

It woudl be good to have separate entry topological triangulated category but I am not competent to write it.

• CommentRowNumber4.

I thought Urs meant that most triangulated categories arising in practice are the homotopy categories of stable (,1)(\infty,1)-categories, which I think is true.

most likely the derivator and stable infinity category in the case which is related to enhancing the usual triangulated categories give the same information.

At least in the locally presentable case, the paper of Renaudin that I mentioned in my latest cafe post suggests that the derivator contains all the information of the (,1)(\infty,1)-category, in the sense that the latter can be recovered from the former up to equivalence. However, even in that case I think it’s still fair to say that the (,1)(\infty,1)-category contains “more information.” For instance, I see nothing suggesting that derivators can “see” functors between (,1)(\infty,1)-categories which don’t have adjoints.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, I meant those arising in practice.

Does anyone have an example of a triangulated category that is being used for anything which is not of this kind?

• CommentRowNumber6.

I would definitely like to hear from an expert on triangulated categories, whether or not people actually use any triangulated categories that don’t arise from stable (,1)(\infty,1)-categories, or whether they are just curiosities.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

If nobody here knows, this might be a good question for a blog post.

Because either one takes the view that

[…] they are just curiosities

or one takes the view that some definitions of triangulated categories were simply wrong in the sense of: not a good definition. I am inclined to regard this situation as an example of where (higher) category theory helps with finding the right definitions.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I don’t think the view that “they are just curiosities” and the view that “the definition was wrong” are really much different if at all; by “curiosity” I meant to indicate that their existence is an accident due to the definition not being right.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, right.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Well there are situations where there is some natural construction and one can prove that one can construct from it a triangulated category but can not prove more. So many theorems will fail if we restrict a notion of triangulated category, and sometimes one even can prove only Puppe triangulated category. On the other hand, there are some variants of the notion of derivator as well. For example, Kaledin has a major unpublished theorem on algebraic K-theory which amends the problem Neeman had with a counterexmaple for the conjecture that the K-theory of a scheme (under some weak assumptions) is captured by the derived category of coherent sheaves; Kaledin takes an interesting modification of a derivator (the modification is in the style of Grothendieck school: one requires some required functors just for certain class of maps/diagrams) and then he has a theorem in spirit of the original conjecture of Neeman. He gave a talk on this discovery in Moscow, maybe a year ago, but there is no writeup. So it is difficult in present state to give so strong statement as Urs is giving on what is stronger and what is not.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Well there are situations where there is some natural construction and one can prove that one can construct from it a triangulated category but can not prove more.

Can you give some examples?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

For example I have seen a construction of Pirashvili (it must be somewhere online the article) leading to Puppe triangulated categories but it is open problem if it is possible to enhance the construction even to get he Verdier triangulated category.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

I was hoping for a little more information than that. A brief Google search doesn’t turn it up.