Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2021
    • (edited Feb 18th 2021)

I was reading through the notes on surface diagrams in Todd Trimble’s nlab (https://ncatlab.org/toddtrimble/published/Surface+diagrams#idea), however some of the images seem to be missing. Does anyone here (hopefully Todd) know if they’re dead links or something like that, or if the images were never filled in? Either way the notes are excellent and I’m enjoying reading through them, when I have some time on my hands I’d be interested in trying to pick up where things left off and hearing about any more recent developments.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

As it turns out, there may be some recent developments – I’ve been exchanging some emails with someone who has some ideas on how to remedy the problem around where I petered out.

I could probably use some technical assistance with pictures though. Are you good at such things?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea

I’ll have to familiarize myself with the proper latex syntax, but once I’m over the learning curve hump I’d love to try and create appropriate images for the notes. Did you use TikZ for the nice looking ones that appear on the page?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea

Incidentally, I was working on trying to develop a proof method for the general conjectured semistrictification theorems at higher levels about a year and a half ago but I ended up dropping it; this Poincaré duality for globular diagrams smells like a missing ingredient in the attempt.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Ah, no, did not use TikZ. (I’ve only used TikZ fairly recently.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea

What package did you use to create them? I only have experience with xymatrix, but I thought there might be a simpler package or easier way to do it.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea

Looking into it further, I think the graphs/polygons/lattices functionality of xypic can be abused to create the type of diagram needed for the notes, I’ll try to come up with something by tonight.