Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Page created, but author did not leave any comments.

Anonymous

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2021
    • (edited Feb 27th 2021)

Am I misunderstanding something, or isn’t *⨿** \amalg * the discrete object classifier in the (2,1)-category of groupoids? More generally, in Gpd{\infty}Gpd, the characterization of fully faithful functors as being the insertion into a coproduct show that *⨿** \amalg * is the discrete classifier there.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2021

I assume that the author meant to write “faithful” instead of “fully faithful”: The text does correctly start out speaking about 0-truncated morphisms; and between groupooids these are the faithful functors (I have added a pointer to the discussion there).

I have briefly edited the entry accordingly, but I suppose this deserves to be explained in more detail.

We have ancient discussion in this direction at pointed sets – As the universal set bundle and scattered remarks elsewhere. One day all this ought to be polished up. Maybe this entry here could be the seed.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2021
    Hello, I'm the anonymous author this discussion is referring to. Sorry about that; I've been making contributions to the nLab on and off for the past year anonymously, the vast majority of them being trivial edits, which do not need to have comments. However, because my edits have been trivial edits for a long time and thus needed no comments, I had forgotten that comments are needed for major edits and page creations. The nForum also happens to be a part of this wiki that I've never had to deal with before. I'll try to keep both in mind in the future.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    Regarding faithful vs fully faithful functors, yeah, I meant ordinary faithful functors in the article. Fully faithful functors should be classified by the subobject classifier of a (2,1)-category, which as Hurkyl pointed out is the coproduct of the point with itself.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for confirming! And thanks for all your edits, much appreciated.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

I’m currently blocked from editing the nLab, but David Corfield says at this blog post here that the role of the terminal object ** in the definition of a (-1)-truncated object classifier is played by Set *Set_* instead of the terminal object ** in the definition of a 0-truncated object classifier, and in a (1,1)-category it just so happens that the object Ω *\Omega_* of pointed truth values just happens to be equivalent to the terminal object **.

He then goes on to talk about (1,1)-truncated object classifiers, which implies a notion of (n - 1, r)-truncated object classifier in an (n + 1, r + 1)-category.

2. Fixed definition and added references

Anonymous

diff, v7, current

3. Added details about the classifying morphism

Anonymous

diff, v8, current

4. The definition of the category of pointed set relies on interval objects and internal homs, so we might as well use those instead.

Anonymous

diff, v9, current

5. adding link to class object

Anonymous

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2024
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2024)

Clarified wording regarding the discrete object classifier in Grpd.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2024

This page could really do with some references, but as far as I can tell this concept does not exist in the literature yet…