Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Page created, but author did not leave any comments.

Anonymous

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2021

This seems to be from the same author who gave us discrete object classifier. Since that led to some discussion/corrections here, I am suspecting that the author is not following the nForum. (?)

2. This is a bit strange. Whoever it is has made quite a number of edits, not what I would call trivial, since the 25th, and is not announcing any of them; and whoever it is seems to know the syntax of the nLab quite well.

Whoever it is seems to be knowledgeable, and I’m sure they’d be very welcome. But I think they do need to engage on the nForum, and to make an announcement when they make an edit.

What I will do now is block submission from this author until they make themselves known at the nForum (I will add an error message indicating that they should do this). If anyone objects to this plan, let me know.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2021
    • (edited Feb 28th 2021)

The full list of edits is as follows. We should probably check these to make sure they’re OK.

| internalization  | 2021-02-25 23:23:09 |
    | preorder           | 2021-02-28 14:09:27 |
    | preorder           | 2021-02-28 15:05:06 |
    | Set                   | 2021-02-27 15:57:51 |
    | subobject classifier  | 2021-02-27 17:05:31 |
    | simplex category     | 2021-02-27 09:41:29 |
    | internal logic            | 2021-02-28 08:41:56 |
    | internal logic            | 2021-02-28 12:31:36 |  
    | 2-poset                    | 2021-02-27 09:39:25 |
    | FinSet                      | 2021-02-27 11:31:36 |
    | reduced suspension  | 2021-02-26 11:32:38 |
    | suspension                | 2021-02-26 11:31:21 |
    | (sub)object classifier in an (infinity,1)-topos | 2021-02-27 17:07:35 |
    | proposition               | 2021-02-25 22:38:45 |
    | suspension object    | 2021-02-26 11:34:02 |
    | circle                        | 2021-02-26 17:02:29 |
    | interval type             | 2021-02-26 10:52:49 |
    | interval type             | 2021-02-26 11:43:55 |
    | interval type             | 2021-02-26 16:01:36 |
    | interval type             | 2021-02-26 17:12:31 |
    | interval type             | 2021-02-27 09:03:31 |
    | internal set theory    | 2021-02-28 11:53:08 |
    | circle type                | 2021-02-26 16:45:30 |
    | suspension type       | 2021-02-26 11:09:07 |
    | suspension type       | 2021-02-26 15:12:47 |
    | suspension type       | 2021-02-26 15:53:31 |
    | discrete object classifier   | 2021-02-27 14:30:16 |
    | discrete object classifier   | 2021-02-27 16:43:50 |
    | discrete object classifier   | 2021-02-28 02:01:50 |
    | discrete object classifier   | 2021-02-28 09:10:04 |

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2021

I would push back against the idea of locking edits for them, but only softly. It’s not something I would suggest jumping onto without consideration. If the edits are all serious or at worst considered/careful contributions, then I don’t want to scare anyone away who might like to work quietly. But I also appreciate the idea that we do need to keep a track on edits to some extent.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Presumably the IP address is captured, so one could make an educated guess where they are coming from (for instance, if it’s a university-assigned block, or at least a city in which category theorists and/or type theorists are known to lurk)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Mar 1st 2021)

It’s a difficult balance, but there are at least a couple of the edits which needed discussion/corrections. It does say quite clearly on the edit pages that edits should be announced, and I think it is reasonable to expect this as a minimum. Anonymity is no problem at all.

Much of the content looks fine and very welcome! Hopefully whoever it is will show up here, and all will then be fine :-).

3. I should say that they are not blocked as such, just when they try to submit an edit, they will get an error asking them to make themselves known at the nForum, emphasising that anonymity is fine.

• CommentRowNumber9.

OK, cool.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, these seem to be substantial and welcome contributions! All I meant was to highlight that we don’t seem to have contact to the author. Even excellent contributions need some discussion, sometimes.

Maybe if/since you, Richard, have the means, best just to point out to the author a pending discussion request at Comment_90019.

A thought: What we’d really need here is that “red bell” which forums have these days (such as on MO and elsewhere) indicating the presence of comments/questions for a user.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Mar 1st 2021)

Maybe if/since you, Richard, have the means, best just to point out to the author a pending discussion request at Comment_90019.

The only means I have really, at least the only simple means, is to prevent an edit going through and give a message to the author. That is what I have done for the moment, and the message is indeed pointing to that discussion. Hopefully the author will indeed join us here, I like a lot the kind of 2-categorical material that the author has been adding, and I’m sure they’d be very welcome.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2021
    Hello, I'm the anonymous author this discussion is referring to. Sorry about that; I've been making contributions to the nLab on and off for the past year anonymously, the vast majority of them being trivial edits, which do not need to have comments. However, because my edits have been trivial edits for a long time and thus needed no comments, I had forgotten that comments are needed for major edits and page creations. The nForum also happens to be a part of this wiki that I've never had to deal with before. I'll try to keep both in mind in the future.
  4. Thank you very much for confirming! I’ll make sure you can edit again asap.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2021
    • (edited Mar 2nd 2021)

It should be possible for you to edit again now :-). Best to have a low threshold for making announcements I suggest; anything with any mathematical content at all can be announced, for example. And good if you can to check the discussion thread in the nForum (there is a ’Discuss this page’ link at the top of each page for example) every now and then for a little while after you make a non-trivial edit, in case anybody has any feedback :-).

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2021

Maybe since Anonymous has been making so many edits (s)he should adopt an obvious pseudonym for the edits - “Daffy Duck”, “buttercup”, or whatever. At least that way observers can can say “oh that person” rather than rather than scrutinizing the contributions as if from a new random person.

I believe there are no requirements for using a pseudonym on the nLab and signing up for a nForum name requires no identifying information.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2021
    • (edited Mar 3rd 2021)

I don’t know, I kind of like the idea of high-quality anonymous content being added regularly, to the point that I may eventually anonymize some of my contributions. It gives a sense of ’this is about the mathematics, not the mathematician’ which I like; this might be preserved by pseudonyms, but high-quality totally anonymous posts add a nice air of communal mystery to the nlab IMO.

For the record, I am not the guest poster but I am enjoying reading their contributions. Please keep contributing, anonymously or otherwise!