Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_van_Beek
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

somehow I missed that there already is a page compact operator and created compact operators. The plural is another error :-) the unsatisfied link that I used to create the page was “compact operators”. When I tried to rename it to the singular term it failed, of course. Now the page compact operators is simply superfluous, but as a non-administrator I cannot delete it…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 17th 2010)

but as a non-administrator I cannot delete it…

Essentially nobody can delete pages, or at least nobody deletes pages. Instead, the closest analog is that all links to a page are removed. Then in principle at some point a server administrator could tell the software to go through the list of all pages and delete those that are “orphaned”, i.e. those to which no other page points. But I think we have as yet never done this.

So don’t worry too much about pages that were created in error, but do make sure that all links do point to pages to which they are supposed to point.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

However, when there is a page that shouldn’t exist, we move it to “page name > history” so that we can redirect its name to where it should go. I’ve done that with what used to be compact operators and redirected the name to compact operator. (However, the cache bug is still in effect for compact operators.)

This seems like a good opportunity to repeat my plea that people preemptively add redirects, including plural forms, when creating pages.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_van_Beek

Thanks. I’ll try to remember to add redirects.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’ll try to remember to add redirects.

To be clear, that wasn’t directed specifically at you. But thanks!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    • (edited May 18th 2010)

Then in principle at some point a server administrator could tell the software to go through the list of all pages and delete those that are “orphaned”, i.e. those to which no other page points.

I am personally against this. I mean we have so many clear cases to erase and then nobody does it, and on the other hand, the orphansed can happen to a normal page by omition. So it is better to be labelling pages for deletion and delete those after a while.

To Tim: I suggest doing search when creating new pages. Often the title may be unexpected as teh conventions among us are not 100% predictable.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

To be clear: we have no particular policy on deleting pages from the nLab because it hasn’t yet been needed. If any pages have been deleted (and I don’t recall off the top of my head if any have) then they have been specific pages where it was completely unambiguous. It is possible to delete more specifically than “orphaned pages” and I think that our current thinking is that anything that could be deleted should be put into “category: delete”. That is not to say that anything in “category: delete” will be deleted, only that any automatic deletion (which, as I said, does not yet exist) will only delete things from that category.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

then they have been specific pages where it was completely unambiguous

There were quite many pages where the need has shown unambigous as far as remember, like the pages created because of alternative names and so on. When taking personal copies it is annoying to have all these duplicate and spam pages. I do not understand that political correctness in being overly careful. I mean if we delete some usually no/duplicate/content page even against some particular opinion it would not be a catastrophe.