Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Is there any call for a factorization into a triple of systems, as in the stuff, structure, property story?

• CommentRowNumber3.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that situation formalized, but it would be worth doing. I can think of at least one other example.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

The other example being the combination of (hyperconnected, localic) and (surjection, inclusion) factorizations for topoi, which are very similar to the (eso+full, faithful) and (eso, fully faithful) factorizations for categories.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

In a recent email exchange with Andre Joyal he pointed out to me the factorisation systems

(epimorphisms of toposes, sub-toposes)

(connected morphisms of toposes, totally disconnected localic morphisms)

(1-connected morphisms of toposes, Galois morphisms)

Are these examples of factorisation systems in a 2-category (I mean interestingly so)? I believe the third system has only be looked at in the special case of morphisms ESetE \to Set. Marta Bunge I think has done the second, and the first one is ’old’.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Mike @3: Does any notion of orthogonality exist for triple factorisations? Would that matter to their potential interest? Maybe what I’d really like to know is the whole point of factorisation systems.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

DavidR #5, the first one is definitely a factorization system, aka (surjections, inclusions). I’m not sure about the others, but it seems quite possible. I know there’s an “almost” factorization system on toposes which consists of (connected+locally-connected morphisms, local homeomorphisms) but according to the Elephant the factorizations only exist for morphisms that are already known to be locally connected. Perhaps the second one you mention above is a version of this generalized to non-locally-connected morphisms.

@DavidC #6: Both examples of triple factorizations are “actually” just two pairs of ordinary “double” factorizations related in a certain way, so they have two resulting kinds of orthogonality.

The Whole Point of Factorization Systems would probably be a good topic for a blog post one day… (-: I’ll see if I can think of some good examples.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The Whole Point of Factorization Systems would probably be a good topic for a blog post one day

Yes. Or also for an Idea-section in the relevant nLab entry. It is one of these concepts whose impact is in maybe surprising contrast to the simplicity of their definition. I am not sure if I understand The Whole Point of factorization systems. I think I understand some points of them.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

@2: David, when I hear the word 2-categorical factorization system my first association is to split it into 3 as in the Postnikov tower for 2-types. As I was discussing before this could play a role in a possible discussion of model 2-categories which would model (,2)(\infty,2)-categories. I am very interested in this idea which may be a blunder despite its intuitive plausibility.

@7: Urs, in joyalslab, there is a beautiful, original and extensive treatment of factorization systems and weak factorization systems.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

in joyalslab, there is a beautiful, original and extensive treatment of factorization systems and weak factorization systems.

That reminds me: we need to start putting links to Joyal’s CatLab into the relevant nLab enties.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

@9: Zoran, so instead of the 3 classes for a model category forming weak factorisation systems (C,FW) (C, F \cap W) and (CW,F)(C \cap W, F) , there might be 5 classes with various combinations of intersections making weak factorisation triple systems? Or something like that.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

@David #11

or 4 classes? Weak equivalences WW + three other classes (A,B,C)(A,B,C), the intersection of WW with each of the others in turn to form (AW,B,C)(A\cap W,B,C) etc. to get the three classes needed to form a three-way factorisation?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011

added to factorization system in a 2-category a reference (there are probably more canonical ones, though) and a remark that the system [essentially srujective + full] / [faithful] on Grpd is a special case of the n-connected/n-truncated factorization system. I’ll now add more details to that latter entry.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2021

Wouldn’t this article be better called “factorization system for a 2-category” or “factorization system on a 2-category”? Usually “in” is used to describe internalisations of Cat-concepts in some other 2-category (e.g. monad in a 2-category). “on” refers to the 2-dimensional generalisation (e.g. 2-monad on a 2-category). I would expect “factorization system in a 2-category” to refer to a notion of factorisation for objects in the 2-category, not 1-cells of the 2-category itself.

1. [Administrative note: merged #14, which was in a new thread, into an old thread, and re-named the old thread so that it is correctly detected as the discussion thread for the nLab page of the same name.]

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2021

“factorization system on a 2-category” is already a redirect, and “for” could certainly also be. I don’t really care what the page itself is named; I don’t think there’s much danger of confusion since for the internal notion I would tend to say instead “factorization system on an object of a 2-category”.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2022

I’ve discovered an HTML oddity with this page. For some reason, clicking the “Examples” link in the contents doesn’t jump to the “Examples” heading. The other links all work, and there’s no problem with examples on other pages like full functor. Bizarrely, editing the html to be id = "example" and going to (https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/factorization+system+in+a+2-category#example) works!

I’ve replicated this behavior on Firefox and Chrome. Do any people with more web expertise have any idea what’s going on here?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, this affects many entries.

I had brought this up long ago. While it was never fixed, the admin knew the cause:

This happens when a floating context menu (on the top right) contains a section of the same name as in the main entry.

I can bring this up with the new technical team. But the easiest would be to remove section headers in contents menus and just replace them by boldface or similar.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So I have fixed this problem now, in the present case at least, by editing both the the !include-pages

Namely by removing the string

## Examples

from both

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I can think of several technical solutions, but best practice would probably be to make sure not to include anchors like this in any of these “contents” pages that are intended to get !included

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2022

Changed name to factorisation system on a 2-category. The distinction is analogous to a monad in a 2-category, versus a 2-monad on a 2-category.

diff, v12, current