Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

Here is a request, following up on Mike’s recent reminders that

• when you create an entry called “foo”, please don’t forget to add a

[[!redirects foos]]

line.

There are other editorial aspects that I would like to ask everyone to keep in mind when creating an entry:

For the nLab to grow large in a useful way, it is important that the hyperlink structure satisfies some basic robustness conditions. So I would like to ask that

• whenever you create an entry, please spend a minute on thinking about to which other keywords it is related in a crucial way, and please make sure that there are hyperlinks reflecting this.

For instance, when you create an entry Monster group and tell the reader that the monster is a finite simple group, imagine the reader who doesn’t know what these terms mean, and provide hyperlinks to simple group, finite group.

Conversely, imagine that the reader who doesn’t know the monster yet is unlikely to have heard of sporadic finite simple groups in the first place. So he will have a small chance finding the monster on his quest for truth around the nLab if the monster is only linked to from sporadic finite simple group. Since the monster is an important example of a finite group, add it as a linked example there, too. Or even as an example at group.

This may sound a bit tedious, but I think the trouble of adding some handful of cross-links the moment an entry is created, has a great effect on the usefulness of the nLab and is small compared to the trouble it saves later on.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Is it possible to have this message appear in the Edit Box when someone actually creates a new page?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Thanks for the reminder, Urs. Having it appear in or next to the edit box is not a bad idea.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited May 19th 2010)

I created simple group. Incidentally, I can’t remember how diacritical marks are to be made in page names, but I wanted a link to a (so-far nonexistent) entry “Jordan-Hölder theorem”.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

In theory, the naming conventions still require Jordan–Hölder theorem, but they are in flux, so you probably shouldn’t worry about it.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

:) Thanks for the reminder, Urs. I am suitably chastened.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 20th 2010)

I am suitably chastened.

I hope you don’t take this in a bad spirit. I could have used many other entries by other contributors as an example. It was just chance that I happened to take yours.

I found myself busily editing entries you all create by filling in missing links, and I thought maybe its more efficient if I ask you to help me do that.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Sounds like we need more Lab Elves :)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

@Urs,

I know - I was trying to amend someone else being slightly slow in adding a broken link, but it adds more links and they add more links and so on. It’s a never-ending problem

@Eric

+1

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

adding a broken link

Right, but I am not so worried about “broken links” aka links to non-existent pages. Eventually the pages will come into existence and then the link will work.

I am more worried about missing links. Better have a page with lots of links to pages that do not exist yet, than have a page not linking to pages that do exist. :-)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 20th 2010)

Sounds like we need more Lab Elves :)

That never hurts. But putting the right links to an entry also requires that one knows enough about the given topic, so it’s likely the author of an entry him- or herself who is best suited to do it.

Recently for instance when I tried to provide missing links for a new entry by Todd related to algebraic theories, Toby complained (rightly, i suppose) that I added a link as an example in a place where it didn’t belong. The problem was that I wasn’t the right person to provide these links, really.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010

I endorse what Urs is saying here. (My complaint that he references above was very specific.)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010

I’ll mention again that it would be good if we could include a remark along these lines next to the “create” edit box when someone is actually in the process of creating a new page. Is that possible?

Regarded “wanted links” (they’re not really broken), I agree. Better to have broken links than missing links. Plus, when someone comes along and sees a link is wanted, they just might be inclined to provide at least a stub.