Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

Looking at the entry Banach spaces, I found the following in the introduction:

So every nn-dimensional real Banach space may be described (up to linear isometry, the usual sort of isomorphism) as the Cartesian space n\mathbb{R}^n equipped with the pp-norm for 1p1 \leq p \leq \infty

which seems to imply that every norm on a finite dimensional Banach space is a pp-norm for some pp. That feels to me like a load of dingo’s kidneys. To define a norm on some n\mathbb{R}^n I just need a nice convex set, and there’s lots more of these than the balls of pp-norms, surely.

Am I missing something?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_van_Beek

Hunch: The difference may lie in the understanding of “isomorphism”: All norms on n\mathbb{R}^n are equivalent, and thus induce the same topology, but they are not isometric isomorph.

• CommentRowNumber3.

The quote from the page has the word “isometry” in it, so I assumed that it meant “isometric isomorphism”. Up to just isomorphism, there’s no need to list all the norms for different pps, as well. So either the list is overspecified, since just one would do, or is underspecified, since there are probably uncountably many suitable convex sets.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Good catch, Andrew. Definitely wrong. (Gee, hope it wasn’t me who wrote that steaming pile!) Continuous linear isomorphism is obviously what should have been said for that statement.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Given that this was in the “Idea” section, I tried to keep it fairly simple. This is particularly tricky since the question of what is an isomorphism of Banach spaces is an important issue later on!

• CommentRowNumber6.

While we’re on Banach space, I’ve long had a niggling doubt about something I wrote under the section Categorical Operations. It was about tensor products, where we want a left adjoint X- \otimes X to the standard internal hom functor XX \Rightarrow -. I had invoked the uniform boundedness principle, remembering the fact that functions X×YZX \times Y \to Z that are separately continuous and linear in each of the arguments are in fact jointly continuous. That invocation was, to be honest, a case of hedging bets, and I don’t think that fact and the uniform boundedness principle (which ultimately depend on Dependent Choice) need enter the discussion at all to construct the tensor product – the tensor product should be completely straightforward without it. Is that right?

• CommentRowNumber7.

I think that you’re right. In so far as the construction of the tensor product is concerned, the formula that you wrote down works just fine. Where one might need uniform boundedness is in proving that this is adjoint to the internal hom functor - I’d need to think about that. I’m not convinced that it’s necessary, though, since one can do this construction for arbitrary LCTVS so invoking uniform boundedness seems a little over the top.

(We really ought to transfer our discussion on monoidal structures in LCTVS to the lab from where it’s mouldering in Cafe comments)

• CommentRowNumber8.

Yes, you’re right – I didn’t mean just construction, I meant adjointness too, that none of this should depend on the UBP. In fact, I think it’s basically obvious that the natural isomorphism hom(XY,Z)hom(X,YZ)\hom(X \otimes Y, Z) \cong \hom(X, Y \Rightarrow Z) will be an isometry (yes, an isometry in this case). But I may not have much time to write this in today.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_van_Beek

The quote from the page has the word “isometry” in it, so I assumed that it meant “isometric isomorphism”.

Yes, sorry, I completly ignored that, which is a good example of cognitive dissonance.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

Hmm, Andrew, perhaps a proper isomorphism of Banach spaces is a uniform linear isomorphism?

• CommentRowNumber11.

Isn’t every continuous linear isomorphism also uniform? The functor from TVS to Top factors through uniform spaces, so that should be correct.

• CommentRowNumber12.

If I recall correctly, the following holds true for topological groups GG, HH (with their standard uniform structures): a group homomorphism f:GHf: G \to H is uniformly continuous iff it is continuous iff it is continuous at a single point of GG. Assuming that’s correct, I could Labbify this (later).

Wouldn’t this be in Bourbaki?