Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDELETED_USER_2018
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)

[deleted]

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 10th 2021)

Thanks. I have added some more hyperlinks (associative algebra, ring, ideal, …) . Your “operations” and “maps” should probably be linear maps. (?)

We ought to have an entry divided power, but unfortunately we don’t. Maybe you’d enjoy creating it?

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)

[deleted]

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, probably “divided power” should just redirect here.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2021

Added a reference to some informal discussion

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 11th 2021)

for definiteness, I have changed

… a collection of maps

to

..an indexed set of functions (of underlying sets)

Also I added more hyperlinks to the references (author names, DOI-s, publisher pages,…)

Finally, I fixed the typesetting of the indices: due to an Instiki speciality, the source code nm gets rendered as “nmnm”. One needs a whitespace n m to tell Instiki that these are two distinct variables such as to obtain the desired italicized “nmn m”.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

Proof that n!γ n(x)=x nn! \gamma_n(x) = x^n

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

In the definition of a divided power RR-algebra, the base ring RR is never used. Is there a reason to define this for AA an RR-algebra rather than just for AA a (possibly noncommutative) ring?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2021

The definition given doesn’t agree with the stacks project, and the hypotheses on the data of the maps in the PD-structure doesn’t typecheck. I’m not sure what is meant, else I’d fix it.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Jul 12th 2021)

I hadn’t noticed that either; IIRC you’re just supposed to have x,yIx,y \in I? Oh I see that’s been changed already.

Another thing to note (after making that correction) is that II is a commutative rng, since you can swap xx and yy in γ 2(x+y)=γ 2(x)+γ 1(x)γ 1(y)+γ 2(y) \gamma_2(x+y) = \gamma_2(x) + \gamma_1(x) \gamma_1(y) + \gamma_2(y).

This meshes with the fact I thought when I saw divided power structures, they were on commutative rings with an ideal. Should we narrow the definition to AA being commutative, or is there an application with noncommutative AA?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)

[deleted]

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

I’ve gone ahead and made the RR-algebra case a secondary definition, and changed the definition to take AA to be a commutative ring; feel free to adjust it if the noncommutative case really is of interest.

I think that the properties and constructions only really work well when II is in the center of AA, so I expect substantial savings by making this change.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Jul 12th 2021)

The definition is still a bit odd. in https://stacks.math.columbia.edu/tag/07GL, we see that the maps γ n\gamma_n are meant to be endomorphisms (as sets) of the ideal II. But in the nLab page they are maps IAI\to A. I’m not sure about the difference between a divided power algebra (as at the nLab) and a divided power structure (as at the Stacks Project), which only applies in the case of a divided power ring. Can someone sort this out?

• CommentRowNumber14.

Made doi text point to doi link in the reference to Berthelot’s LNM volume.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

It looks like item 3 in our entry forces γ\gamma to take values in II after all…

Maybe this is meant to be following the Wikipedia entry (here) that also insists on the codomain of γ n\gamma_n being AA.

But, yeah, it looks odd. I suggest to follow the StacksProject, make the codomain II and also fix the clauses 1 and 2 to have xIx \in I instead of xAx \in A.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, the point is whether the indexing starts at 0 or 1, since γ 0=1\gamma_0 = 1 indeed can’t take values in II unless I=AI = A.

• CommentRowNumber17.

To me that seems like one should have maps γ n:II\gamma_n\colon I \to I for n1n\geq1 and then just define γ 0\gamma_0 by convention to be 1.

• CommentRowNumber18.

Cleaned up definition according to recent comments.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

Moved the statement of the γ 0\gamma_0 convention further up since we adopt it in all of the identities, not just one of them. I’ve also added a remark on the different handling of γ\gamma in different sources.

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2022

Added a few things on divided powers in symmetric monoidal categories. And some very recent references.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • (edited Aug 16th 2022)

Don’t succeed to put all my edit because of crazy errors… That’s ok now, it was the error of putting a tikzcd diagram into $$

• CommentRowNumber22.

Added relation with symmetric powers, including completely new observations on the potential interpretation of symmetric and divided powers in a graded (differential) linear logic.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2022

Added the reference Luis Narváez Macarro, Hasse-Schmidt derivations, divided powers and differential smoothness, 2009

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2022
    • (edited Nov 19th 2022)

Added that permutations σ:A nA n\sigma:A^{\otimes n} \rightarrow A^{\otimes n} are defined in the entry symmetric monoidal category.

diff, v21, current