Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Page created, but author did not leave any comments.

Anonymous

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2021

The author has left a message. This however is not the place to put that question.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2021
    • (edited Sep 30th 2021)

(deleted)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2021

I have added a pointer to an example and some hints on how/where to ask questions.

This is evidently from a student asking for help with maths, and implicitly asking how the nnLab works. There is no need, certainly not for regulars here, to intentionally proliferate unintentional noise, or to add ridicule, of all things. The question asked may be elementary, but it is a completely reasonable question, and a question that our nnLab entry on the matter had indeed forgotten to answer.

When we feel that the OP has either seen my reply or else has forgotten about their question, then let’s remove this entry here, but for the moment let’s keep it up. It doesn’t hurt anyone.

diff, v2, current

2. I agree completely with encouraging people; however, in this case, I am not completely sure that this is not a semi-sophisticated form of spam. It is not that easy to create a page with a title like this on the nLab if one doesn’t know what one is doing, and I don’t see anything in ’Latest revisions’ which indicates that a page edit was made which would allow for the link creation. In that case, the page must have been created by an API call, which almost certainly would mean it was spam/automated.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. Though what would be the purpose of such “spam”?

But I think my point holds nonetheless: We don’t want to be making the public appearance of being jerks towards newbies.

When this comes up again (and it will): Let’s either produce some productive reaction (answer a question and/or improve the relevant nnLab entry) or else, if it does look decidedly suspicious, let’s not proliferate the noise by adding pointless comments, but just wait for you, Richard, to delete it.

3. I’m not sure what the purpose would be in this case, but we have seen similar things before.

I completely agree regarding your point; there is never anything to be lost from being courteous and respectful.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Sep 30th 2021)

I have now done some digging through the nginx logs, and I was in fact wrong. The author had tried to search for ’Regular axiom is stronger than hausdroff axiom’ in the search bar at the top of the page regular space. When one does this and a page with that title or containing that exact text does not exist, a link is made at the bottom of the page that is returned which allows one to create a page with the same title as one searched for. Thus Urs was correct, and this was someone genuinely asking a question.

We should improve things here in some way. The search functionality is not great and could be improved, but as a first step I can at least remove (later) the link suggesting creation of a new page with the title of the search. Maybe we should actually replace the search bar with something that says ’Question or request?’ or something, which could either do the same as ’Discuss this page’, or else maybe allow a question to be asked in a textbox, with a link to the relevant nForum thread where an answer would be given.