Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    We now have pages for the Kochen-Specker theorem and Gleason's theorem but we do not have one for Bell's theorem. I was going to create one, but does anyone know if a categorical version (translation?) of Bell's theorem has ever been developed? I was thinking I'd hold off until I knew whether or not it had ever been expressed in categorical terms.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    Considering the overwhelming response, I'm assuming the answer is "no." So, Tim, are you lurking out there? You mentioned you were interested in learning more about quantum information and all these no-go and related theorems. I'm obviously interested in learning more about categories. Would you be interested in jointly having a go at something like this? I can write up the regular descriptions (there are several versions). Eric has given me a page I can use as a "scratch pad" on his private nLab.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric

By the way, one trick I use all the time when wanting to find out if something has been presented in category theoretic language is to do a typical Google search, but add “functor”. For example:

“bell’s theorem” functor

Does anyone else have any similar tricks?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    That's hysterical. If you click the link you just gave, the nForum Kochen-Specker thread is the third link that appears in the Google search.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_van_Beek
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

Would you be interested in jointly having a go at something like this? I can write up the regular descriptions (there are several versions). Eric has given me a page I can use as a “scratch pad” on his private nLab.

Yes, but I will not have much time next week, because I have to meet a deadline in my everyday job… where is the “scratch pad”?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    • (edited May 31st 2010)

The scratch pad is here. There’s nothing there on Bell’s theorem at the moment but I’ll get something up ASAP (probably early this week).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

created stub for Bell’s theorem

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    I have worked up a lengthy discussion of Bell's theorem on my scratch pad. Anyone who would like to find a categorical description of it, have at it. If you think what I've put up is of good enough quality to post to the nLab, please copy and paste (or say something and I'll do it). There's quite a bit more to be said, but I think this is a good enough start to give people the overall gist of Bell's theorem itself. I'll add references (including Bell's original paper) soon.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 3rd 2010)

If you think what I’ve put up is of good enough quality to post to the nLab, please copy and paste (or say something and I’ll do it).

I briefly looked at it and it looks good to me. You should paste this into the nLab entry.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • (edited Jun 3rd 2010)
    OK, will do. Thanks.

Edit: Looks like someone (Eric?) beat me to it. Thanks.