Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorBruno Stonek
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2021

There is a sentence that is confusing me. I suspect it’s a mistake, or at least I don’t know how to make it work as stated. Right after Remark 2.9 here Introduction+to+Stable+homotopy+theory+–+1-1

It is stated that Σ pq1𝕊XX^Σ pq𝕊\Sigma^{p-q-1}\mathbb{S} \to X \to \hat{X} \to \Sigma^{p-q}\mathbb{S} is a homotopy cofiber sequence. However, the left square above that is not a homotopy pushout. You cannot replace that disk by a point, just as in the definition of a classical CW-complex you cannot replace the disks by points.

I’m sorry if this is not the right place to write about this!

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I think the answer is:

The 1-categorical pushout diagram with the disk is a model for the \infty-categorical homotopy pushout with that disk replaced by a point.

Does that answer the question? Otherwise, you may please have to say again what issue you see.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

The surrounding context looks like it’s talking about the model category rather than the \infty-category it presents, so I think that whole section should be interpreted as talking about the model category.

The thing I think #1 overlooks is that if one leg of the span is a cofibration between cofibrant objects, and the third vertex is cofibrant, you can replace it with anything else that is weakly equivalent and also cofibrant.

In particular, the homotopy cofiber of a cofibration between cofibrant objects can be given by taking the pushout with the point.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2021

Yes, that’s what I mean (saying “\infty-” instead of “homotopy-“). This is what the Rem. 2.9 in question is referring to in parenthesis: where it says “hence its homotopy cofiber (def.)”. Here “def.” is def. 4.16 in Part I of the notes. More on this is in Prop. 3.1 at homotopy pullback.

If that is what #1 is asking about, let me know which kind of clarifying sentence you’d like to see added to the notes.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Dec 2nd 2021)

Thanks for the replies. Hurkyl, I agree that would work. A closely related, alternative justification: the stable model category of spectra is proper, so a pushout is a homotopy pushout as soon as one of the legs is a cofibration, which is obviously the case here.

I don’t immediately see which of the two justifications would be more appropriate, or less circular.

I would say that a justification along these lines would clarify the exposition.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The justification as such is already given, as pointed out in #4. What you seem to want is more prose to go with it.

• CommentRowNumber7.

That’s true. I personally think a more verbose explanation would not be pointless: see my confusion in #1!

Now I’m confused by something else there :) Shouldn’t the first term of the homotopy cofiber sequence actually be 𝕊 pq1𝕊 q\mathbb{S}^{p-q-1}\vee \mathbb{S}^{-q}? The second summand appears because of the added disjoint basepoint: Σ + S p1Σ (S p1S 0)\Sigma^{\infty}_+S^{p-1}\simeq \Sigma^\infty(S^{p-1}\vee S^0).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 2nd 2021)

I personally think a more verbose explanation would not be pointless: see my confusion in #1!

Yes, I understand, but I am trying to make you help me see how it should be expanded to be more helpful, since to my eyes all comments are already there. :-) That happens, of course, the author of a text sometimes can’t step back from it far enough. But anyway, I can try to expand. Later, when I have a quiet moment.

Now I’m confused by something else there

True, that’s more of a gap in the commentary: Namely the bottom left object is not actually a replacement of the point, either, but is itself a wedge sum of such with 𝕊 q\mathbb{S}^{-q}. So that pushout square on the left is really the one we have been discussing, wedged with the cofiber square of the identity on 𝕊 q\mathbb{S}^{-q}.

Okay, I’ll look into clarifying that remark a little more. When I find a minute. Thanks for bringing this up!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Dec 2nd 2021)

Ah yes, of course, the bottom left object also has the +, so the left square doesn’t obviously present a homotopy cofiber sequence.

Thanks for looking at it, looking forward to your edit.

Oh, and as to how to make the previous part clearer: I think it’s in Hurkyl’s comment or mine above, i.e. explicitly remark that those pushouts are actually homotopy pushouts because such-and-such.