Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

“Huh?” I hear you say, “I’ve been using them for ages.”.

Not quite. What you’ve been using were the beta release. Actually, you were supposed to stop using those in December and await the imminent release of the official version. More actually, you probably weren’t supposed to be using them at all - those of us who weren’t registered as beta testers!

But not any longer! The STIX project has at last released them into the wild. It’s likely that there are only a few changes from the beta test (I think that there’s documentation of what those are), but what may be most significant about this is that if your university (or other) doesn’t like installing “beta” software then they have no excuse for not installing the STIX fonts.

Also, even if you don’t much like the STIX fonts, it’s still better than all those silly boxes. So having the STIX fonts as backup means that you can have your preferred font where it is available, and the STIX fonts when not.

So, everyone should download and install the real STIX fonts. On my linux system, I did the following:

1. Went to <www.stixfonts.org>
    2. Clicked on the word “Full download”
    3. Agreed to sell the rights to all my papers to the AMS.[1]
    4. Saved the resulting file.
    5. Lost the resulting file.
    6. Found it hiding in the corner of my office.[2]
    7. Cleared out the old STIX fonts from ~/.fonts. If that directory doesn’t exist on your system, create it with mkdir ~/.fonts.
    8. Unzipped the new STIX fonts somewhere appropriate. On my system, I put them in ~/local/share (the zip package has its own top directory) but it’s not really important.
    9. Copied the files from STIXv1.0.0/Fonts/ into ~/.fonts
    10. So far as I’m aware, that’s it!

[1] Seriously, I did read the license, and it looks pretty good. In particular, at first glance it seems that we can use it in font-face directives.

[2] Sorry.