Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Page created, but author did not leave any comments.

Anonymous

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2022

Hm, this would be good to be embedded more into other contexts. I have added a cross-link with group of units, but this would be good to expand on a little more.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2022

in the mathematics literature a “multiplicative submonoid” as talked about in this article is called a multiplicative subset.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2022

Thanks for chiming in. There is issues with what seems to be the same Anonymous editor also for instance here. If nobody speaks up to argue that there is value in these pages, we might just want to delete them.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2022

multiplicative subset as described in the nlab article is a name for ’submonoid of the multiplicative monoid (R,1,)(R, 1, \cdot)’, rather than the more specific concept of ’the subset of cancellative elements in RR with respect to multiplication’. However, terminology in the nlab should be standardised, and so this article should be renamed multiplicative subset of cancellative elements, and a link established between the two articles.

However, I don’t think there is a single name universally accepted in the ring theory literature for the concept in this article. Lombardi and Quitté named this particular submonoid described in this article as the filter of regular elements Reg(R)Reg(R) on page 447 in Commutative algebra: Constructive methods (Finite projective modules) (regular element being a synonym of cancellative element used in the ring theory literature), and used it to define a unique factorization domain.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2022

Just to say that it’s great to harmonize terminology across nnLab entries where possible and sensible, but that the nature and sociology of this wiki makes a general standardization improbable if not impossible and hence not demandable. What really matters is that every single entry makes clear which of several imaginable variants it is talking about and what it’s context is, so that readers will be enabled to see for themselves.

With the present entry I am worried that it fails on this latter account. If you (Anonymous, Guest, anyone) see yourself adding worthwhile commentary and references as in #5 to the present entry, that would be welcome and might give this entry a reason to exist. Or else these comments might usefully go into other existing entries, and this one here be deleted, after all.

2. adding a reference, disambiguation links, and redirects, expanding on the article a little, and renaming this page to harmonize terminology on the wiki

different anonymous person

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 3rd 2022)

Thanks!!

I have added the missing # to [LombardiQuitté2010](#LombardiQuitté2010), so that the link works.

In fact, I have taken the liberty of changing it slightly to [Lombardi & Quitté 2010](#LombardiQuitté2010)

diff, v7, current

3. In my opinion this article is probably better off as an article about cancellative elements/regular elements in a commutative ring, rather than the subset of all cancellative elements/regular elements in a commutative ring. I’ve made the latter concept into a section of this article.

In fact, since the latter concept is defined as a subset in this article, one still needs to prove that the subset of cancellative elements forms a submonoid, i.e. that it contains 11 and is closed under multiplication. I’ll get around to doing that some time later.

I’ve also added a proof that cancellative elements in a commutative ring are the same as non-zero-divisors as defined in the zero-divisor article on the nLab.

diff, v8, current

4. added sections on the relations to zero-divisors, integral domains, and rings of fractions/fields of fractions

diff, v8, current

5. fixing redirects not working

diff, v9, current

6. fixing part 1

diff, v9, current

7. fixing part 2

diff, v9, current

8. fixing redirect for multiplicative submonoid of cancellative elements part 1

diff, v9, current

9. fixing part 2

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2023

Redirect regular element in a ring which is not in a collision with regular element (of a Heyting algebra).

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2023

Improved the lead-up to and wording of a theorem (which had an if-then condition awkwardly nested inside another if-then condition).

diff, v16, current