Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2022

starting a stub here, for an entry which we should have had long ago, to complete the pattern of entries listed under “Related entries”.

What I was really after is seeing if the construction in section 2.4 of

is genuinely new, or a special case of an existing theorem. The category Rep(𝒜)Rep(\mathcal{A}) considered by these authors should equivalently be that of modules over a monoid in the monoidal category of copresheaves with values in a fixed monoidal model category. Phrased this way, the model structure on this category which these authors present might be expected to be a special case of the general construction of Schewede & Shipley. I haven’t checked yet.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2022
    • (edited May 30th 2022)

Let me turn this question around:

For M\mathbf{M} a monoidal model category and C\mathbf{C} any small category, Func(C,M)Func(\mathbf{C}, \mathbf{M}) should be a monoidal category under tensor product in M\mathbf{M} pointwise over C\mathbf{C}, and for 𝒜Mon(Func(C,M))\mathcal{A} \,\in\, Mon\big(Func(\mathbf{C}, \mathbf{M})\big) it should follow that 𝒜Mod(Func(C,M))\mathcal{A} Mod\big(Func(\mathbf{C}, \mathbf{M}) \big) is a model category with objectwise weak equivalences and fibrations.

Is this special case of Theorem 4.1 in Schwede & Shipley 2000 explicitly citable from anywhere?

Because this is – it seems to me – what Sec. 2 in arXiv:2201.06464 re-proves from scratch.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited May 30th 2022)

Re #2: What is the model structure on Func(C,M)?

For the projective model structure, C should have finite products (at least up to retracts). Otherwise, the monoidal product of two cofibrant objects y(c_1)⊗m_1 and y(c_2)⊗m_2 is y(c_1)⨯y(c_2)⊗(m_1⊗m_2), which need not be cofibrant if y(c_1)⨯y(c_2) is not representable (or a retract of a representable).

If C does have finite products, then Func(C,M) is indeed a monoidal model category once we equip it with the projective model structure. This is trivial to check using generating (acyclic) cofibrations.

For A-modules to admit a model structure, you need an additional condition, e.g., the monoid axiom.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. True, these authors allow any small 𝒞\mathcal{C} and the intended example (Ex. 2.2) does not have products.

So maybe these mathematical field theorists filled an actual gap in the model category literature then! :-)

• CommentRowNumber5.

What is the exact theorem in Section 2 that is being discussed? I see them repeating a lot of well-known facts with proofs, e.g., the construction of the projective model structure.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Cor. 2.13 claims the model structure on 𝒜Mod(Func(C,M))\mathcal{A}Mod \big( Func(\mathbf{C}, \mathbf{M}) \big) and Prop. 2.16 the corresponding base change Quillen adjunction.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Re #6: The model structure of Corollary 2.13 is indeed a special case of Schwede–Shipley’s Theorem 4.1, part (1). I really don’t understand why they rederived it from scratch, and in much more restrictive setting: they require all objects to be fibrant, which is completely unnecessary.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2022

The model structures are clearly the same, but does Schwede&Shipley’s proof apply? I thought you had a point in #3 that checking the assumptions for S&S’s theorem may be nontrivial.

• CommentRowNumber9.

If one wants only a model structure on modules, as in Corollary 2.13, then the monoid axiom alone is sufficient, there is no need for the model structure to be monoidal.

To construct a model structure on monoids, or a monoidal model structure on modules over a commutative monoid, one does need the model structure to be monoidal.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing this out!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added (here) a sentence to the entry to clarify this.

Regarding my original question: I take it that the example of the model structure on modules in a functor category you have not seen discussed elsewhere? It does seem like a fundamental class of examples that deserve to be highlighted.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I take it that the example of the model structure on modules in a functor category you have not seen discussed elsewhere? It does seem like a fundamental class of examples that deserve to be highlighted.

The monoidality of functor category has definitely been discussed before, for example, see the second paragraph of the proof of Proposition 7.9 in my paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1410.5675.

I am not sure whether I have seen the particular statement about modules in a functor category before, though.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Have recorded that here

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2023

added the actual statement of the model structure (here)

diff, v7, current