Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

The AnonymousCoward who creates blank pages in places where I ought to write stubs has been at it again, this time at Stone duality.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

Why does he do that?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

That's how the legends appear in history...

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

I expanded Stone duality somewhat, including some examples (taken from Johnstone’s book) of algebraic theories for which profinite algebras are, and are not, equivalent to Stone topological ones. There is still a lot more to say!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015

I noticed that the entry Stone duality didn’t mention at all the role of 2\mathbf{2} as a dualizing object. I found discussion of this at BoolAlg, but I seem to remember that we had more on this on the nnLab. If so, it seems hard to find and might need more pointers.

For the moment I have copied the paragraph titled “Stone duality” at BoolAlg to the section “Stone spaces and Boolean algebras” at Stone duality. The paragraph on profinite sets that used to be at the latter place I have moved down to the section titled “Stone spaces and profinite sets”.

More could be done here to improve the exposition, I think, but I won’t try to.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited Jan 18th 2015)

Pursuant to Urs’s remark on 2\mathbf{2}: most such dualities come under the umbrella of Chu space duality, i.e., are restrictions of the *\ast-autonomous duality on Chu 2Chu_2 to suitable full subcategories. I may add a remark on this and link to Pratt’s notes on this.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Jan 18th 2015)

Looking over at the concept of “concrete duality” in duality, I don’t think this concept is explained very accurately there. Certainly the concept ought to embrace concrete dualities induced by ambimorphic (or whatever you want to call them) objects, which have to do not exactly with closed monoidal structure but with liftings of contravariant hom-functors. Maybe I’ll try my hand at some rewriting here.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 18th 2015)

On p. 121 of Lawvere-Rosebrugh, “concrete duality” is used to refer to contravariant functors that deserve to be written V ()V^{(-)}. The text there is shy about stating technical details, the examples spelled out happen in SetSet, but it seemed to me that a charitable formal interpretation of p. 121 would be to read it as referring to contravariant exponentiation in closed categories. At least the point made around that p. 121 does not seem to need ambimorphicity. That would be something to add on top.

You know the established terminology better than I do. Would be great if you’d find time to expand the entry. But it seems to me that contravariant exponentiation in itself deserves to be regarded as a concept of duality, while homming particularly into ambimorphic objects is a further variant.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Jan 18th 2015)

Urs, although I don’t have Lawvere and Rosebrugh in front of me (or even at all), I expect that their VV generally refers to an ambimorphic structure (so living in some concrete categories C\mathbf{C} and D\mathbf{D}) so that C(,V):C opSet\mathbf{C}(-, V): C^{op} \to Set lifts to C opDC^{op} \to D and D(,V):D opSet\mathbf{D}(-, V): D^{op} \to Set lifts to D opCD^{op} \to C, with these liftings forming a contravariant adjunction. “Duality” in the proper sense of the article means that the adjunction is a contravariant equivalence. For example, in this post by Lawvere, he uses the same notation V+exponentiation (NB: the (-)^V he wrote is a typo; he means V^(-)), but where in his case VV is ambimorphically a set and an MM-set with M=hom(V,V)M = \hom(V, V)).

I would regard duality in your sense via contravariant exponentiation V ()V^{(-)} as a special case of what I’m referring to. In other words, if C\mathbf{C} is (let’s say symmetric) monoidal closed, then the ordinary hom-functor hom(,V):C opSet\hom(-, V): \mathbf{C}^{op} \to Set lifts through hom(I,):CSet\hom(I, -): \mathbf{C} \to Set to an enriched hom-functor ()V:C opC(-) \multimap V: \mathbf{C}^{op} \to \mathbf{C}, so that here we are regarding VV as (C,C)(\mathbf{C}, \mathbf{C})-ambimorphic. I would further note that whatever Lawvere and Rosebrugh are referring to, where you say the examples happen in SetSet, I imagine they are not talking only about sets (since there are no such dualizing objects DD or VV in SetSet, in the sense described at duality), but as sets equipped with some structures.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015
    • (edited Jan 19th 2015)

I’ll be happy about in whatever generality you’ll add it to the entry!

By the way, I am looking at the text via GoogleBooks. (When GoogleBooks fails me, there are other places to turn to…)

• CommentRowNumber11.

I am not able to access that page through Google books.

Nevertheless, there is no equivalence SetSetSet \to Set induced by a double dualization in the sense of concrete duality described at duality. I will add to the page later.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Of course there is no such equivalence. I was wondering why you said this, now I saw that the entry had something about involutions at the beginning. I have removed that.

In that section 7.1 L-R speak about how epis are dual to monos by homming into any VV.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015

Coming back to this thread, I have completed (for now) my edits at duality that I intended back in #7.

To say it all properly required a substantial revision of dualizing object, which I have also done.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Very nice, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber15.

I added a little bit to dual adjunction.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2019

Added a section on Stonean duality

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021
    • (edited Apr 14th 2021)

This answer https://mathoverflow.net/questions/390085/analytical-origins-of-the-stone-duality/390134#390134 should probably be copied to the nLab, but to what article?

The scope of Stone duality is a bit too narrow, whereas the answer includes examples from Gelfand duality, Serre-Swan duality etc.

On the other hand, Isbell duality is concerned with a specific abstract formalism (with sheaves and cosheaves) and space and quantity is also using sheaves and cosheaves, which is not the focus of the asnwer.

Do we have a page on the duality between spaces and algebras as well as bundles and modules (and, more generally, geometry and algebra) where this answer would be suitable?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Interesting. You could create a new page and just cross-link with the existing pages. Maybe “generalized Stone duality”? Or whatever term you find fits best.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • (edited Apr 14th 2021)

Perhaps one of these?

duality between algebras and spaces

duality between algebra and geometry

Assigning it just to Stone may be too much. Gelfand, Zariski, Chevalley, Milnor also contributed. And von Neumann, as we can now find out from that MathOverflow thread.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure! “duality between algebra and geometry” sounds good.

The Isbell duality - table is subtitled “Isbell duality between algebra and geometry”.

Here I was thinking of Isbell duality as the general abstract picture behind the entries in the table. But it’s a a stretch and would be better replaced by a pointer to an entry like you are envisioning.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2022

Is BoolBool the same category as BoolAlgBoolAlg?

Olin

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2022

Renamed BoolAlg to Bool to ensure consistency of notation.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2022
    • G. Dimov, E. Ivanova-Dimova, W. Tholen, Categorical extension of dualities: From Stone to de Vries and beyond, I. Appl Categor Struct 30, 287–329 (2022) doi

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorCorbin
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2023

Sprout a new page specifically for the Stone gamut, rather than cluttering this page.

diff, v30, current