Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. copied from HoTT wiki

Anonymous

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2022

have cross-linked with semi-simplicial object

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHugo Herbelin
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2023

Fixing UF-IAS links by linking to https://ncatlab.org/ufias2012/files/

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited May 7th 2023)
    The page "semi-simplicial types in homotopy type theory" looks a bit outdated.

If kept as it, it should indicate that it is an historical page from the IAS HoTT wiki.

Otherwise, I guess it should clarify that:
    - Vladimir's code is only a start, leading to concluding that it is difficult (and maybe even impossible) to define semi-simplicial types in HoTT
    - two different questions overlap: semi-simplicial types compared to semi-simplicial sets and "indexed" semi-simplicial sets or types, i.e. as a sequence of families of n-semi-simplices, rather than as a presheaf to set or types
    - my formalization is not about types but (morally) sets and its technical value, besides trying to contribute to quantify the difficulty of defining semi-simplicial types, is about "indexed" semi-simplicial sets
    - Benno's note and Marc and Thierry's note are not really related to the question of semi-simplicial types

More recent material could be added (Shulman 2015, Kraus-Sattler 2017, ...), HTS, 2LTT, ...
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

If you have the energy to edit, please do.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Reorganization of the page: - clarify the difference between the “iterated dependent” (or “indexed”) presentation of semi-simplicial types - clarify the contributions of Voevodsky and myself in term of formalization - move historical contents not related to semi-simplicial types in a specific section - add more recent bibliography

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    I thus made a reorganization of the page. I have still a few typos/layout issues to solve (which I do blindly, not having found how to preview a page).
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. I see, I’ll step back, I see that we were cross-editing just now.

I have made the pointer to your and Voevodksy’s note an actual linked reference. Hope this works for you. But if your aim is visibility and claim of priority, its better to have an actual reference item than just in-line commentary.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    Thanks a lot for your updates, links, layout standardization, etc. I'll read again and tell you when I'm done.

I have no particular claim (except that it reflects things as they go). I'll put a link to the final version of my paper.

A side question: the family/fibration equivalence looks so central that I feel that there should be a page about it. After all, this correspondence can already be stated within the language of type theory alone, or within the language of a topos.
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the family/fibration equivalence looks so central that I feel that there should be a page about it.

Please feel invited to create a dedicated page!

But we should have at least some version of the statement scattered around in some form or other. Have you seen this here:

?

Even so, this might want to be on a stand-alone page, for ease of linking to it and for inviting expanding and referencing it.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    > Have you seen this here:
    >
    > [dependent type -- Relation to families of elements](https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/dependent+type#RelationToFamiliesOfElements)

Indeed, that's mostly what I was looking for, thanks! It then probably deserves an update. Historically, it has been the case that "In the categorical semantics of type theory, a dependent type B(x:A) is represented by a particular morphism p:B→A" but this does not seem any more specific to categorical semantics to do so (e.g. if one considers natural semantics, categories with families, etc.).

I'm otherwise basically done with the semi-simplicial types page. For the bibliography, I tried to get closer to what seems to be the general conventions on nlab but I may have been wrong. Don't hesitate to tell if you'd like me to do further changes, or amend as you'd like.
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2023)

Thanks! Looks good.

I made some more of the in-line references into anchored pointers to the list of references.

Also fixed this glitch:

Vladimir Voevodsky proposed Homotopy Type Theory (HTT),

to

Vladimir Voevodsky proposed Homotopy Type System (HTS)

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2023)

but this does not seem any more specific to categorical semantics

Just to highlight that the paragraph at dependent type – Relation to families of elements does not consider any semantics at all, but stays entirely inside the type theory.

But if you feel like writing more about this issue, either there or elsewhere, it will be most welcome!

• CommentRowNumber14.
    HTS: oh right, thanks.

Regarding writing more on [dependent type -- Relation to families of elements](https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/dependent+type#RelationToFamiliesOfElements), maybe one day...

Thanks for the interaction!
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2023

Tentatively made a comparison between defining “indexed” semi-simplicial sets and constructing effective matching object representatives.

diff, v13, current

2. Added the reference to Astra Kolomatskaia’s talk on semi-simplicial types

Janos Turoczi

diff, v14, current