Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

Some details regarding personal webs:

1. Anyone granted a personal web can ask for up to three without the steering committee needing to approve the request. The three need not be asked for all at one time. The number was chosen as it is the number of different types of web, though there are no restrictions on which type each web should be.
    2. When a new web is created, someone from the steering committee will announce it here; the new owner is encouraged to expand on that initial announcement.
    3. The idea behind the personal webs is that they are part of the nLab and so they are created if it is felt that having that web will help with the work on the nLab. This is quite vague (deliberately so) and the “help” that a personal web provides can be quite indirect.
    4. There’s a little more at personal webs (nlabmeta).
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

The idea behind the personal webs is that they are part of the nLab and so they are created if it is felt that having that web will help with the work on the nLab. This is quite vague (deliberately so) and the “help” that a personal web provides can be quite indirect.

The main point here being: providing personal webs here is not a generic hosting service for your generic Wiki-needs, but all personal labs are to be regarded as still being a part of the nLab, just a more personal part.

I think as a rule of thumb: everything that one can find on a personal web should be such that in principle it could also go in the main nLab. So personal webs are there for containing nLab material that one wants to have labeled more explicitly as belonging to a specific person. I think.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

So personal webs are there for containing nLab material that one wants to have labeled more explicitly as belonging to a specific person. I think.

I would still like to argue in favor of having one type of personal web for a sort of nLab “scratch pad.” Right now, Eric has generously given me a page under his personal web for me to work out some things before transferring it to the main nLab. I know Urs and others have mentioned we should do things like that here in the nForum, but I’m thinking about employing aspects of the nLab in some of my teaching but would prefer (for obvious reasons) that the students a) not fiddle with nLab itself and b) not overrun nForum, but at the same time make some minor contribution (I’m not sure which class I might use this with yet).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

One can also use doriath for scratch, although there is the risk that the style sheet might suddenly change for testing.

• CommentRowNumber5.

I agree that this is a perfectly valid use for doriath. Certainly, we won’t delete pages from doriath arbitrarily, and nor will we edit pages that are clearly someone’s experiment without good reason. It’s certainly better than the nlab sandbox since we do clear that out from time to time and it’s harder to keep stuff separate in the sandbox. As Toby mentioned, though, since doriath is an experimental web, we do sometimes play with the global settings.

I’ve put up some guidelines on HomePage (doriath). Up to now, it’s been mainly me and Toby experimenting there. If more people are going to use it, then it needs a little more structure to avoid collisions - I’ve made a suggestion as to how this can work and organised the existing pages a little to fit with that scheme.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

Before, pressing on http://ncatlab.org directed to a list of all webs, personal and the nlab. Now it directs to nlab portion homepage only. So what is now the address of the top directory with all the personal labs and statistics, equivalent to the top page before ?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

The list of all webs is as:

http://ncatlab.org/web_list

There’s also the directory of personal webs (nlabmeta) which is not automatically generated but (hopefully) contains a little more information.

The discussion that led to the change in default behaviour is this one.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2018

I have updated my personal web, adding in brief mentions of new projects.