Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010
    • (edited Jun 20th 2010)

I posted this as a question over at MO, but I figured I’d post it here as well:

Question:

Let D:A(XC)D:A\to (X\downarrow C) be a κ\kappa-good SS-tree rooted at XX for a collection of morphisms SS in CC, where κ\kappa is a fixed uncountable regular cardinal. Then according to the proof of Lemma A.1.5.8 of Higher Topos Theory by Lurie, for any κ\kappa-small downward-closed BAB\subseteq A, the colimit of the restricted diagram, varinjlimD| B\varinjlim D|_B is κ\kappa-compact in (XC)(X\downarrow C).

Why is this true? (It is stated without proof.)

Definitions:

For your convenience, here are the definitions:

Recall that an object XX in CC is called κ\kappa-compact if h X():=Hom(X,)h^X (-) := Hom(X,-) preserves all κ\kappa-filtered colimits (where κ\kappa-filtered means “< κ\kappa“-filtered, since the terminology is different depending on the source).

Recall that an SS-tree rooted at XX for a collection of morphisms SS in CC consists of the following data:

• An object XX in C (the root)
    • A partially ordered set AA whose order structure is well-founded (the index)
    • A diagram D:A(XC)D:A\to (X\downarrow C) such that given any element αA\alpha\in A, the canonical map
    varinjlimD| {β:β<α}D(α)\varinjlim D|_{\{\beta:\beta &lt; \alpha\}}\to D(\alpha)

is the pushout of some map U αV αSU_\alpha\to V_\alpha\in S.

We say that an SS-tree is κ\kappa-good if for all of the morphisms U αV αU_\alpha\to V_\alpha above, U αU_\alpha and V αV_\alpha are κ\kappa-compact, and such that for any αA\alpha\in A, the subset {β:β\{\beta: \beta < α}A\alpha \}\subseteq A is κ\kappa-small.

Edit: It’s easy to reduce the proof to showing that D(α)D(\alpha) is κ\kappa-compact, since projective limits of diagrams BSetB\to Set are |Arr(B)||Arr(B)|-accessible (and therefore κ\kappa-accessible since BB is κ\kappa-small), we perform the computation for II a κ\kappa-filtered poset, and F:ICF:I\to C, assuming that D(α)D(\alpha) is κ\kappa-compact for all αB\alpha\in B:

varinjlim IHom C(varinjlim BD,F) varinjlim Ivarprojlim B opHom C(D,F) varprojlim B opvarinjlim IHom C(D,F) varprojlim B opHom C(D,varinjlim IF) Hom C(varinjlim BD,varinjlim IF)\begin{matrix} \varinjlim_I Hom_C(\varinjlim_B D, F)&\cong& \varinjlim_I\varprojlim_{B^{op}} Hom_C(D,F)\\ &\cong& \varprojlim_{B^{op}} \varinjlim_I Hom_C(D,F)\\ &\cong& \varprojlim_{B^{op}} Hom_C(D,\varinjlim_IF)\\ &\cong& Hom_C(\varinjlim_B D,\varinjlim_IF) \end{matrix}

Edit 2: I think the above reduction actually won’t work, since it doesn’t use the hypothesis that B is downward-closed.

nForum Edit 1: For some reason, \varinjlim, \varprojlim, and \cdot don’t render.