Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. removing query boxes

+– {: .query} Madeleine Birchfield: Wouldn’t a cardinal number be an object of the decategorification of the category Set, just as a natural number is an object of the decategorification of the category FinSet? =–

+– {: .query} Roger Witte First of all sorry if I am posting in the wrong place

While thinking about graphs, I wanted to define them as subobjects of naive cardinal 2 and this got me thinking about the behaviour of the full subcategories of Set defined by isomorphism classes. These categories turned out to be more interesting than I had expected.

If the background set theory is ZFC or similar, these are all large but locally small categories with all hom sets being isomorphic. They all contain the same number of objects (except 0, which contains one object and no non-identity morphisms) and are equinumerous with Set. Each hom Set contains N NN^N arrows. In the finite case N!N! of the morphisms in a particular hom set are isomorphisms. In particular, only 0 and 1 are groupoids. I haven’t worked out how this extends to infinite cardinalities, yet.

If the background theory is NF, then they are set and 1 is smaller than Set. I haven’t yet worked out how 2 compares to 1. I need to brush up on my NF to see how NF and category theory interact.

I am acutely aware that NF/NFU is regarded as career suicide by proffesional mathematicians, but, fortunately, I am a proffesional transport planner, not a mathematician.

Toby: Each of these categories is equivalent (but not isomorphic, except for 0) to a category with exactly one object, which may be thought of as a monoid. Given a cardinal NN, if you pick a set XX with NN elements, then this is (up to equivalence, again) the monoid of functions from XX to itself. The invertible elements of this monoid form the symmetric group, with order N!N! as you noticed. Even for infinite cardinalities, we can say N NN^N and N!N!, where we define these numbers to be the cardinalities of the sets of functions (or invertible functions) from a set of cardinality NN to itself.

From a structural perspective, there's no essential difference between equivalent categories, so the fact that these categories (except for 0) are equinumerous with all of Set is irrelevant; what matters is not the number of objects but the number of isomorphism classes of objects (and similarly for morhpisms). That doesn't mean that your result that they are equinumerous with Set is meaningless, of course; it just means that it says more about how sets are represented in ZFC than about sets themselves. So it should be no surprise if it comes out differently in NF or NFU, but I'm afraid that I don't know enough about NF to say whether they do or not.

By the way, every time you edit this page, you wreck the links to external web pages (down towards the bottom in the last query box). It seems as if something in your editor is removing URLs. =–

Anonymous

diff, v46, current

2. adding section about cardinals in homotopy type theory and a reference from the HoTT book

Anonymous

diff, v47, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorjkabrg
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2022
    • (edited Oct 31st 2022)
    I don't agree with the following bit:

''The usual way to define an ordering on cardinal numbers is that |S1|≤|S2| if there exists an injection from S1 to S2:

(|S1|≤|S2|):⇔(∃(S1↪S2)).
    Classically, this is almost equivalent to the existence of a surjection S2→S1, except when S1 is empty''

I believe this isn't true? Unless by ''classically'', you're assuming Choice. The analogue of Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein where injections are replaced with surjections, is equivalent to the Axiom of Choice. I believe that without Choice, the cardinal numbers under the above ordering are not well-ordered, or even linearly ordered, but merely partially ordered.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2022
    • (edited Oct 31st 2022)

I think the “this” is in the phrase

Classically, this is almost equivalent to the existence of a surjection

is not referring to the equivalence, but to the existence of an injection. So you have, classically, (S 1S 2)(S 1S 2S 1)(\exists\, S_1\hookrightarrow S_2) \Leftrightarrow (S_1\neq \emptyset \Rightarrow \exists\, S_2 \twoheadrightarrow S_1).