Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2022

I have added an observation (here) that complex Hermitian inner product spaces \mathcal{H} may be regarded as (/2)(\mathbb{Z}/2 \curvearrowright \mathbb{C})-modules of the form *\mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H}^\ast in the topos of /2\mathbb{Z}/2-sets.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2022

added (here) a characterization of hermitian operators, in this fashion

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2023
    • (edited Aug 31st 2023)

I have added some textbook references

and some historical references,

such as to von Neumann’s original definition of Hermitian forms (1930, 1932)

Von Neumann’s is the modern definition – was he the first to state it this way?

I gather from

• Jürgen Elstrodt, Fritz Grunewald, Jens Mennicke: Integral Binary Hermitian Forms, Ch. 9 in Groups Acting on Hyperbolic Space, Springer (1998) [doi:10.1007/978-3-662-03626-6_9]

that the concept is named after

but it is not easy to recognize a Hermitian form in there (admittedly, I have only scanned over the article, so far)

Similarly for

• Luigi Bianchi, Forme definite di Hermite, §24 in: Sui gruppi di sostituzioni lineari con coefficienti appartenenti a corpi quadratici immaginarî, Mathematische Annalen 40 (1892) 332–412 [doi:10.1007/BF01443558]

which may be the earliest coinage of the term “Hermitian form” (?)

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2023

I have now written out more text in the section on reagarding Hermitian/unitary complex modules as complex Euclidean/orthogonal “Real complex modules” internal to the category of real vector spaces with involutions.

Also adjusted some of the terminology, for better flow and thus renamed the sub-section:

As Real complex modules.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2023

added pointer to:

• Max Karoubi, §1 in: Le théorème de périodicité en K-théorie hermitienne, Quanta of Maths 1, AMS and Clay Math Institute Publications (2010) [arXiv:0810.4707]

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2023

I see now that the embedding of fin-dim Hermitian spaces into self-dual /2\mathbb{Z}/2 \curvearrowright \mathbb{C}-modules which I described (here) is essentially what is known in the context of Hermitian K-theory as the hyperbolic functor

Or rather, what I consider here is the hyperbolic functor equipped with /2×/2\mathbb{Z}/2 \times \mathbb{Z}/2-equivariance. I see now that this is known as establishing an equivalence between KR-theory and topological Hermitian K-theory.

The two references for this equivalences that I am (now) aware of (here) are:

and

both of which are rather terse, each in its own way.

So I am not surprised that my construction here is known, on the contrary, I was surprised that I couldn’t find something that elementary discussed in the literature. And with the above two references it still takes some squinting to see what’s going on.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2023

added (here) original references expressing hermitian forms via dagger-compact structure

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2023
    • (edited Nov 10th 2023)

added (here) statement and proof of a more pronounced way of phrasing the expression of Hermitian forms as inner products internal to Real vector bundles:

Passing a real inner product space (𝒱,g)(\mathscr{V}, g) equipped with an isometric complex structure JJ through the equivalence of real vector spaces with Real vector bundles over the point yields the corresponding Hermitian form |g(,)+ig(J(),v)\langle - \vert - \rangle \,\equiv\, g(-,-) + \mathrm{i} g\big(J(-), v\big), as shown here.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2023

We now have a (very) brief note on the story I was getting at above, at Quantum and Reality.