Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAnton Hilado
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2022

Created page. Will fill out more later.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2022

Added Sakellaridis’ survey to the references.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2023

Added

Presumably the “V1” of the link address will change, but there doesn’t seem to be an anchor for the paper.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2023

I was trying to get a sense of what the ’relative’ in ’relative Langlands program’ means.

I can’t see it directly addressed in the 451-page article in #3, but in a brief note

• David Ben-Zvi, Relative Langlands (pdf),

he writes

Slogan: the relative Langlands program can be explained via relative TFT

Does he mean as in

If so, I see the note at twisted differential c-structure on this article

it is proposed to call such twisted structures “relative fields”.

So we might have “twisted Langlands program”?

But then what’s this at field(physics)?

Fields \simeq twisted relative cohesive cycles

Is the ’relative’ of ’relative cohomology’ relevant?

• CommentRowNumber5.

Added

• David Ben-Zvi, Relative Langlands (pdf)

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 14th 2023)

What Freed & Teleman call “relative” field theory is what Stolz & Teichner call “twisted” field theory, namely (e.g. p. 51 in this pdf, using an observation that I gave them in 2005 when we met in Hamburg) not a cobordism representation as such, but a morphism from a fixed one, hence what one might call a “generalized pointed field theory” or an “object in a co-slice of field theories” or the like.

This describes field theories with a kind of anomalies: Because, by the “holographic principle of higher category theory”, such a morphism between two cobordism representations, is itself a kind of cobordism representation, but failing to strictly preserve composition in a way measured by the non-triviality of the cobordism representations that it is a morphism between.

(I used to draw the corresponding “tin-can diagrams” a lot in the old days, I think there is a series of posts called “D-branes from tin-cans” on the nCafe, following my Fields Institute talk from 2007 here)

Now, browsing through Ben-Zvi’s brief note that you link to, I get the impression that by “relative” he just means “with boundary” and/or “extended”, hence in any case: with higher codim data.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I get the impression that by “relative” he just means “with boundary” and/or “extended”, hence in any case: with higher codim data.

That looks right. From the long article in #3, it’s about extended “4-dimensional arithmetic quantum field theory” (p. 15).

Odd that quoted remark in #4 then. It seems one source of “relative” in “relative Langlands” is Jacquet’s “relative trace formula”.

Ultimately here it seems it’s relative in the sense that:

For favorable GG-spaces XX (or Hamiltonian GG-spaces MM), the various structures of the XX-relative Langlands program are simultaneously encoded, on the dual side, by a Hamiltonian Gˇ\check{G}-variety Mˇ\check{M}. (p. 10)

These XX are “hyperspherical varieties” for a given GG,

a convenient class of graded Hamiltonian G-spaces that is closely related to the class of cotangent bundles of spherical varieties.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2023
    I don't really know at the moment where the term "relative Langlands" comes from, but it seems to go at least as far back as this 2012 book of Sakellaridis-Venkatesh (https://arxiv.org/abs/1203.0039), where I think connections to TQFT were not yet apparent. It could be that the way one of the big conjectures of the program is formulated is in terms of a relative trace formula (see also page 11 of these slides https://math.jhu.edu/~sakellar/KAST.pdf). Now that the draft of Ben-Zvi-Sakellaridis-Venkatesh is out, I'm hoping to be able to flesh out a bit more of this nLab page soon.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2023

Added Rapahael Beuzart-Plessis’ lectures at the 2022 IHES summer school.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2024

Added mention of the Hamiltonian GG-space. Added a brief mention of the role of quantization in the relative Langlands program. Will add examples later.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

Brief mention of Weil representation and theta series.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added some hyperlinks, such as for Hamiltonian action.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Where you ask for a link “Weil representation”, should we redirect to the entry Weil-Deligne representation?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    I think it should be "Segal-Shale-Weil representation" or "metaplectic representation".
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2024

Added reference to Sakellaridis’ KAST slides.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2024

Added more material from Sakellaridis’ KAST lectures.

diff, v9, current