Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    • (edited Jan 14th 2014)

following Zoran’s suggestion I added to the beginning of the Idea-section at monad a few sentences on the general idea, leading then over to the Idea with respect to algebraic theories that used to be the only idea given there.

Also added a brief stub-subsection on monads in arbitrary 2-categories. This entry deserves a bit more atention.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    • (edited Sep 16th 2010)

I’ve reorganized monad a bit, trying to remove some of the cruft that had gathered there. Also I’ve added a new section on Street’s bicategory of monads in a given bicategory, and moved the section on the successor monad to its own page.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorphx
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

there is also a notion of a monad in the context of holomorphic vector bundles (or coherent sheaves) over projective spaces (or more generally, (compact) complex manifolds): A monad in this context is a complex of holomorphic vector bundles 0ABC00 \to A \to B \to C \to 0 which is exact at A and C. If I’m not mistaken, these first appeared in

G. Horrocks, Vector bundles on the punctured spectrum of a ring, 1964, Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 14, 689-713

and often appear in the same context as the Beilinson spectral sequence.

Is there any relation to the monoids in the category of endofunctors? Is it an example? If so, how? Is it worth mentioning this in the article on monads?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 9th 2012)

ad 3: The name is not motivated by any kind of similarity to monoids, as far as I know. Once we create the nnLab page for it, it should be Beilinson’s monad, what is the standard full name for it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorphx

i was unable to find the page you mentioned, but thanks anyway.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    • (edited Jan 10th 2012)

I just checked up on Geof Horrocks in Wikipedia and that construction is known as the ADHM construction. (NB. the H is not Horroocks here but Hitchin.) This is relevance to instantons (or so it say on Wikipedia). Wikipedia also calls it the monad construction. (Perhaps disambiguation is called for. I know of another use of the term monad in non-standard analysis, and lots of others, see the wikipedia page on monad and the nLab entry).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 10th 2012)

No, Tim. ADHM construction is quite specific and later. Though it does involve Beilinson monads in some formalism. ADHM construction is from mid 1970s, see the paper under Yang-Mills instanton:

• M.F. Atiyah, N.J. Hitchin, V.G. Drinfeld, Yu.I. Manin, Construction of instantons, Physics Letters 65 A, 3, 185–187 (1978) pdf

and for a noncommutative version the paper of Kapustin, Kuznetsov and Orlov which does explicitly talk about (noncommutative) Beilinson monads.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorphx
    • (edited Jan 10th 2012)

I have to say that I disagree with Wikipedia (although I’m not sure what the standard terminology is): From my point of view, the monad construction is just a part of the ADHM construction (another part being the Twistor construction which identifies instantons with certain real algebraic bundles over 3\mathbb{P}^3 and makes it possible to use monads at all)

also note that the ADHM construction was reformulated by W. Nahm in a way that does not use any monads at all (at least not explicitly).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have started Beilinson monad.

Also created monad (disambiguation).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorphx

here is the reference to Nahm’s paper:

• W. Nahm. Self-dual monopoles and calorons. In Group theoretical methods in physics (Trieste, 1983), pages 189-200. Springer, Berlin, 1984. pdf
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    • (edited Jan 14th 2014)

As David Corfield noticed in another thread, the amount of discussion of monadicity on the nnLab had been rather lacking.

As a first-aid means, I have

More deserves to be done here, eventually.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014

Is there something ’modal’ going on here, an adjunction suspended between two moments - the Eilenberg-Moore adjunction and the Kleisli adjunction?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMatt Earnshaw
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

In Section 1 we read:

the concept of a monad is the horizontal categorification of that of a monoid.

however horizontal categorification suggests that the h.c. of a monoid is a category, so I’m wondering how useful the above remark is.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

Well, I think the preceding sentence explains what was meant by that. Also, “categorification” to my mind isn’t quite well-defined (“decategorification” fares better).

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016

Also, categories are a special case of monads. (They are monads in Span.) But perhaps it would be better for the sentence to say “a horizontal categorification” rather than “the horizontal categorification” (and now it does).

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2018

Added some more examples and reorganised. I will write out some in due time. I will appreciate any help fleshing out the examples, especially detailing what the unit and multiplication does. The monad examples in Riehl’s Category theory in context would be nice to include.

diff, v74, current

1. Changed link to monoid in monoidal category rather than monoid the set with operation.

Anonymous

diff, v77, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)