Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Has anyone ever made a connection between category theoretic duality and dialectics (not necessarily Hegelian dialectics, but dialectics in general (such as that found in Taoism))? A canonical example of dialectical reasoning follows:

Thesis: The Absolute is Being.
    Antithesis: The Absolute is Non-Being.
    Synthesis: The Absolute is Becoming.

Polarity (opposites) and negations are recurrent in dialectics.
    Is there a natural way to categorify general dialectical reasoning? Is there a categorical analogue of thesis-antithesis-synthesis dialectics?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

Maybe some people here would enjoy that question (I don’t know), but I’d urge you to take your question to Lawvere, who has spent his life thinking about such things. Certainly dialectical materialism plays an explicit role in some of his early writings. I have a feeling that he might have some interesting responses if you were to write him an email.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

Yes, Google “Lawvere”, “unity and identity of opposites”, “dialectical”. There are other papers than those at his site, like ’Adjointness in Foundations’ available here.

2. Thanks.