Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJonasFrey
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2023
    • (edited Feb 8th 2023)

Has the way math displays are rendered been changed recently? I have been getting little vertical scrollbars next to displays when viewing in chrome lately, and in firefox displays also look very cramped, at least in itemized lists. See eg final functor. Or maybe it’s a change in chrome and am only imagining the change in firefox?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2023

Thanks for the alert.

I am not usually using chrome, but firing it up now I do see those scrollbars (here).

I’ll check with the the technical team…

1. It might be possbile to figure out, what exactly changed using (the git history of) the html-backup of the nlab:

https://github.com/ncatlab/nlab-content-html

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2023
    • (edited Feb 10th 2023)

I am not usually using chrome, but firing it up now I do see those scrollbars (here).

I looked at that in Chrome’s inspector and I see that Chrome is now using their new implementation of MathMl by default. So the pages are no longer rendered by MathJax.

I’m not sure when it was turned on by default - some time after 2022-11-23.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5240822173794304

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJonasFrey

@4: Ah, so it sounds like it’s a change in chrome! Now that you say it, I’ve seen that news about mathml in chrome, that sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Well, it’s not really a problem in any case.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 10th 2023)

Interesting. The webpages here

say that the official announcement of MathML re-support in Chrome was on 10 Jan 2023 — (that’s 10 years after this support had been removed from Blink!)

For a moment this made me hopeful that Chrome might now render hyperlinks-inside-\text-inside-math-environments such as optimistically used at Isbell duality - table. Only Firefox used to display these, other Browsers showed error message boxes.

Checking now in Chrome, the error boxes are gone, but so is the text to be rendered… :-/

In any case, back to the original issue: I think we should have a tad more vertical whitespace for display-math inside item lists. I’ll try to see if somebody from the technical team has the energy to look into this…

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

The vertical scrollbars got fixed in this commit: https://github.com/parasew/instiki/commit/5215da4c3dd55d6b3d581a46895d7a5ff7bcba1b.

Are these improvements automatically imported into the nLab software?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

Felix kindly informs me that he has pushed edits that fix the issue!

My understanding is that he imported Jacques’ edit to deal with those scrollboxes, but he also increased the vertical padding of displayed math inside item lists.

Check out the new rendering in the example at final+functor#properties that Jonas was pointing to.

(You may have to clear the browser cache first, CTRL+F5.)