Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Concerning the discussion nLab Feature request: Floating TOC free pages, I considered writing a trivial example Greasemonkey script to add a new button that would toggle the .class of the TOC so style rules could make it invisible.

But then I remembered that I have to turn off Greasemonkey when visiting the n-Forum/n-Category pages or else Firefox will often crash.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this problem worth tracking down? Doing so would be non-trivial because it involves finding a particular bug in either Greasemonkey or Firefox that causes the problem. I know how to track down bugs in GM/FF interactions, but not those that cause crashes. Is it worth clearly isolating this problem so that it can be reported, or just wait until the next releases and hope it goes away?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

I usually have Greasemonkey on and enabled while surfing, including at the n-sites.

However, I don’t actually have any scripts in it right now! (I forget what I had used it for before.) So that might explain it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

I guess that it depends a bit on who uses Greasemonkey here and what it might be used for. If merely having Greasemonkey on causes crashes then that’s fairly serious, but Toby’s experience seems to say that that isn’t the case. It might be worth checking if it is still the case that these crashes occur (your posting implies that this used to happen and you haven’t checked recently). I can see that it might be useful to have a repository of neat greasemonkey scripts that people use on the nStuff, alongside some Stylish stuff, so that people can customise things a little.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    I think I found the culprit. The script Linkify Plus seems to grind for a long time on n-pages, such as n-Forum: Chern character and then cause a crash.

(The script turns plain text that looks like a URL into an actual link. What makes it Plus is that it also works with pages that are changed or updated after the initial page is loaded)

The script causes high CPU usage in Firefox but no memory growth. Firefox should be able to trap whatever is causing it to crash, so I will pass this info onto the script developer who is also a developer of the Greasemonkey extension.

For now, the script problems can be avoided by adding to it:

@exclude http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Vanilla/nForum/*
    @exclude http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/*
    @exclude http://ncatlab.org/*