Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

Last entry before lunch: phenomenology. Physics…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010

It might pay to note somewhere that the term ’phenomenology’ has slightly different connotations to philosophers of physics versus high-energy physicists. I mean, ultimately the HEP definition falls under the more general PoP definition, but HEP guys tend to use it in a very specific way (at least the ones I know - maybe QFT guys use it differently?).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    • (edited Jul 26th 2010)

Word phenomenology in philosophy is a specific technical word in the school of pragmatism in America. That one is not about philosophy of physics specifically, but a general term in pragmatism. In the entry I was not talking only about HEP but also cosmology, condensed matter etc.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010

Not that I qualify as an expert, but I am not sure what you are talking about (Zoran) when you associate phenomenology in philosophy with a technical meaning in American-style philosophical pragmatism (as exemplified by writers such as C.S. Peirce, Royce, William James, Dewey, and others). Can you point me to a reference?

I associate phenomenology in philosophy much more with the movement initiated by Husserl (and developed by others such as Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty); the basic subject matter there is the structures of consciousness from a philosophic perspective.

Some months ago I read a fantastic exposition on phenomenology, Introduction to Phenomenology by Robert Sokolowski. I highly recommend it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

You are absolutely right, philosophical phenomenology is due Husserl. In a philosophy course which I studied in hi-school we studied American pragmatists along with Husserl, in passing, as they belong to roughly the same period in philosphy, and there was some interaction (they in fact criticised Husserl), so I have given them a wrong attrubute. Sorry for creating confusion. Please correct.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

Harry, I absolutely do not approve senseless distractions. We are very busy stealing minutes from our regular work to do nlab and please respect that.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

There’s a golden rule about this here, but nobody is perfect. For example, I started a little linguistic subthread recently that in no way supports the nLab and may be (actually, was) distracting to some.

Harry made a silly joke, as he likes to do. I sometimes do that too. But when the silly jokes get out of hand (as in the case of someone with initials JA), then it’s a real bother, and it’s probably a good idea not to be too self-indulgent about one’s (self-perceived) wittiness.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2022
    • (edited Aug 10th 2022)

I think it’s better to precise that this is about phenomenology in physics and not the philosophical concept which certainly came before and is maybe what the word phenomenology refers firstly to. On Wikipedia there is the page « phenomenology (physics) » and « phenomenology ». I think we could do « phenomenology (physics) » and « phenomenolgy (philosophy) » to be more neutral.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2022

Added a link to « phenomenology (philosophy) ».

diff, v8, current