Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2023

cross-linked this entry with intuitionistic type theory

and added references

and (here) a table of a pretty-printed form of the structural rules in DTT and their categorical semantics.

This is essentially the same edit as announced here for Martin-Loef dependent type theory, and the same request for more original references applies.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2023

added this pointer to:

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2023

I have been trying to complete the list of examples in this entry, and to cross-link all the relevant entries. Currently it looks as follows:

Is this actually accurate? Are all of these regarded as “structural” and is any missing?

I gather as core structural rules count weakening, contraction and exchange? Identity/var seems to be regarded as even more primitive? Is cut really regarded as “structural” or is it called a “context rule”, or both?

Maybe we could make a pretty hierarchical bullet list of these items.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2023

added pointer to the origin of the Struktur-Schlußfiguren in

together with a screenshot of the original paragraph from Gentzen 1935

am adding these pointers also to the specific entries, like contraction rule etc.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Is this actually accurate? Are all of these regarded as “structural” and is any missing?

My understanding is that these are all typically viewed as structural rules, though variable projection and substitution are often considered to be more primitive (you can consider type theories without weakening, contraction, or exchange, but if you remove variables and substitution, you’re arguably not left with something that resembles a type theory).

Cut and substitution are really the same concept (and I would call them both structural rules), but presented slightly differently (e.g. cut elimination corresponds to admissibility of substitution). I see this is very briefly mentioned on substitution, but not on cut rule.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

If I am reading you correctly, then this agrees with Gentzen’s original definition: he lists

• weakening,

• contraction

• exchange

• cut

as the Struktur-Schlußfiguren.

If you’d like to exand on this in the entry I’d find it very useful. There is a lot of implicit convention/knowledge in this field.