Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010

added to simplicial object a section on the canonical simplicial enrichment and tensoring of D Δ opD^{\Delta^{op}} for DD having colimits and limits.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

I just noticed this in simplicial object as the Idea:

A simplicial object XX in a category CC is a collection {X n} n\{X_n\}_{n \in \mathbb{N}} of objects in CC that behave as if X nX_n were an nn-dimensional simplex internal to CC.

As someone who works a lot with simplicial objects this does not correspond to my idea of a simplicial object and quite frankly I do not understand the meaning of ‘simplex internal to CC’. Does anyone else feel like I do? I think that a couple of instances of simplcial objects would give the idea better.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

I have modified the sentence. But if anyone has more leisure for it than I currently do, feel free to have a go at it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012

Thanks that is already much better. I have added in a bit more. I am wondering if there is s specific example that is general enough to be ’of use’ for a large number of people (other than simplicial sets). I will add one slightly later if I can.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The entry lists a bunch of Examples. Are you looking for something else?

• CommentRowNumber6.

I am wondering if there should be a specific example (e.g. the smooth singular complex of a Lie group can be considered in several settings as giving a simplicial group, simplicial topological group, etc. but that example fits better elsewhere). It may not be needed as there are other examples in other entries. Perhaps ‘If you want a specific example of this type of construction look at …’ might be worth putting somewhere. I am in two minds about it.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2019

Add a remark about geometric realization and the fact that it is a simplicial functor.

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2020

added ISBN to

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2021

added pointer to:

• Alexander Grothendieck, p. 108 (11 of 21) in: Techniques de construction et théorèmes d’existence en géométrie algébrique III : préschémas quotients, Séminaire Bourbaki : années 1960/61, exposés 205-222, Séminaire Bourbaki, no. 6 (1961), Exposé no. 212, (numdam:SB_1960-1961__6__99_0, pdf)

diff, v34, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2022

Added:

The original definition of simplicial objects, maps between them, and homotopies of such maps is due to Daniel M. Kan:

• Daniel M. Kan, On the homotopy relation for c.s.s. maps, Boletín de la Sociedad Matemática Mexicana 2 (1957), 75–81. PDF.

diff, v38, current