Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    • (edited Aug 27th 2010)

I have been advising Herman Stel on his master thesis, which is due out in a few days. I thought it would be nice to have an nLab entry on the topic of the thesis, and so I started one: function algebras on infinity-stacks.

For TT any abelian Lawvere theory, we establish a simplicial Quillen adjunction between model category structures on cosimplicial TT-algebras and on simplicial presheaves over duals of TT-algebras. We find mild general conditions under which this descends to the local model structure that models \infty-stacks over duals of TT-algebras. In these cases the Quillen adjunction models small objects relative to a choice of a small full subcategory CTAlg opC \subset T Alg^{op} of the localization

LLH=Sh (,1)(C) \mathbf{L} \stackrel{\overset{L}{\leftarrow}}{\hookrightarrow} \mathbf{H} = Sh_{(\infty,1)}(C )

of the (,1)(\infty,1)-topos of (,1)(\infty,1)-sheaves over duals of TT-algebras at those morphisms that induce isomorphisms in cohomology with coefficients the canonical TT-line object. In as far as objects of H\mathbf{H} have the interpretation of ∞-Lie groupoids the objects of L\mathbf{L} have the interpretatin of ∞-Lie algebroids.

For the special case where TT is the theory of ordinary commutative algebras this reproduces the situation of (Toën) and many statements are straightforward generalizations from that situation. For the case that TT is the theory of smooth algebras (C C^\infty-rings) we obtain a refinement of this to the context of synthetic differential geometry.

As an application, we show how Anders Kock’s simplicial model for synthetic combinatorial differential forms finds a natural interpretation as the differentiable \infty-stack of infinitesimal paths of a manifold. This construction is an \infty-categorical and synthetic differential resolution of the de Rham space functor introduced by Grothendieck for the cohomological description of flat connections. We observe that also the construction of the \infty-stack of modules lifts to the synthetic differential setup and thus obtain a notion of synthetic \infty-vector bundles with flat connection.

The entry is of course as yet incomplete, as you will see.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

From the page:

T the theory of ordinary commutative algebras over a field kk and JJ the xyz-topology. In this case the adjunction is that considered in (Toën).

this isn’t related to my fghi-topology is it? :P

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

this isn’t related to my fghi-topology is it? :P

It arose in the same spirit. But it is meant to be the fpqc-topology.

But the thing is, the only aspect of the topology that matters for the whole argument to go through is that it must be such that the Cech-cohomology of functions on covers vanishes in positive degree and coincides with that of the base in degree 0.

And in fact it seems there is an argument that in degree greater than 2 the cover-cohomology vanishes on general grounds, so that only degree 0 and 1 need to be checked.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

Now this work is for abelian Lawvere theory, and I do not know what it exactly means and how essential it is. I see you are using a model structure in this setup. In any case, usually the homotopic constructions extend beyond abelian. For example for operadic context,

“present a general construction of the derived category of an algebra over an operad and establish its invariance properties” (The first sentence from the abstract). One could expect that one can enhance this to infinity category rather than just a “derived category”. I will open a nlab entry for this now: derived category of an algebra over an operad to record the reference.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Abelian Lawvere theory means that it includes the theory of abelian groups. I.e. that an algebra over it has an underlying abelian group.

More on the rest later when I have a minute.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 29th 2010)

Okay, here I am back with a minute of spare time:

I guess you are asking whether the modl structure on cosimplicial T-algebras that is described in the entry might be equivalent or related to a model structure on algebras over some resolution of the operad corresponding to TT?

I don’t know. (Would we need operad in cosimplicial sets? ) I’d tend to think that it is another question which is more relevant, but maybe I am wrong. But here is what I tend to think:

one shouldn’t try to think of that model structure on cosimplicial algebras in the entry as something awefully intrinsic, algebraically.. Its whole purpose is rather that it happens to provide a model for the full sub-(oo,1)-catgeory of oo-stacks on duals of T-algebras on those that are R-local, i.e. those such that homming maps into them that induces isos in R-cohomology produces an equivalence. (Where RR is the canonical TT-line object).

As Toen amplifies in his article, that the discussion here is based on, one could in the case where TT is the theory of ordinary commutative algebras in principle find models that achieve the same in terms of E E_\infty-algebras or other structures. But I have not tought about what such other models might be like when we allow for TT an arbitrary abelian Lawvere theory. We might get things like C E C^\infty-E_\infty-algebras (i.e. smooth E E_\infty-algebras), but I don’t know.

On the other hand, what I think is more important as far as homotopy-algebras is concerned is this:

as I try to indicate in the last paragraph of the entry currently, ultimately the full (,1)(\infty,1)-categorical version of the setup described there uses not Lawvere theories, but (infinity,1)-algbraic theories TT. This would be fully “derived” TT-geometry.

So in the full setup, one should do the following: Let CTAlg opC \subset T Alg^{op} be a small full sub(oo,1)-category of the opposite of that of algebras over an (,1)(\infty,1)-algebraic theory TT, equip it with the structure of an (,1)(\infty,1)-site and consider the (,1)(\infty,1)-topos H:=Sh (,1)(C)\mathbf{H} := Sh_{(\infty,1)}(C) of derived TT-stacks.

Then find models for the reflective sub-(,1)(\infty,1)-category LH\mathbf{L} \hookrightarrow \mathbf{H} of the RR-local objects, where RR is again the canonical TT-line object.

We expect that such a model can again given by cosimplicial \infty-TT-algebras.

In fact, for TT the ordinary algebraic theory of ordinary commutative rings , but regarded as an (,1)(\infty,1)-theory, its algebras are simplicial algebras and the above yields \infty-stacks over duals of simplicial algebras as in ordinary derived algebraic geometry. Ben-Zvi and Nadler have looked at Toen’s setup in this context and considered the inclusion of cosimplicial \infty-TT-algebras into these stacks (in their article on Loop spaces and Differential Forms). These are now cosimplicial-simplicial algebras! Which under Dold-Kan are equivalent to unbounded dg-algebras. The duals of that one might call “derived \infty-Lie algebroids”. This is where things like the BV-BRSTcomplex lives.

One should eventually try to generalize this from TT the ordinary theory of ordinary algebras regarded as an (,1)(\infty,1)-algebraic theory to TT general Lawvere theory regarded as an (,1)(\infty,1)-algebraic theory (as an intermediate step to allowing TT a fully general \infty-theory). I regard what the entry currently describes as a warmup for that derived case.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Interesting! Are you also saying that the complicial case (in the sense of Toen, working with model categories for the unbounded complexes) can be fully (including the model structure) be accounted for by cosimplicial/simplicial two step trick ? Toen was saying that the usual intuition/conjectures for concrete constructions in (derived) algebraic geometry often fail when one goes to complicial derived geometry.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 29th 2010)

Ah, thanks, for reminding me of that use of the word. Yes, it is this sense of “complicial” that I meant.

I believe one should think of it this may, which makes it appear quite natural:

in full generality, we should be looking at things modeled by simplicial presheaves over duals of simplicial algebras

X:[Δ op,TAlg][Δ op,sSet] X : [\Delta^{op}, T Alg] \to [\Delta^{op}, sSet]

This models “derived stacks”. A “function algebra” is now a simplicial TT-algebra, so as we take degreewise function algebras on simplicial presheaves, we get a cosimplicial simplicial algebra

𝒪(X)[Δ,[Δ op,TAlg]]. \mathcal{O}(X) \in [\Delta, [\Delta^{op}, T Alg]] \,.

Under the Dold-Kan correspondence, this is equivalently a non-negtaively graded cochain complex of non-negatively graded chain complexes

Ch + (Ch +(Ab)) \cdots \in Ch^\bullet_+(Ch_\bullet^+(Ab))

which is equivalently non-negative cochain complexes of non-positive cochain complexes

Ch + (Ch (Ab)) \cdots \simeq Ch^\bullet_+(Ch^\bullet_-(Ab))

The model structure should be such that this is equivalent to the corresponding total complex. But since these double-complexes live in the off-diagonal quadrant, their total complex will be in general unbounded chain complexes. Roughly, the “derived”d riections of the function algebras go towards negative degree, while the “categorical” directions go in positive degree.

For the BV-BRST complex: the ghosts are tangents to higher morphisms of oo-stacks, so they go in positve degrees. The anti-fields are higher graded components in the function algebras, so they go in negative degree.

And, yes, working over the “derived” site of duals of simplicial algebras is strikingly different from working over the site of duals of ordinary algebras, even when ooking at oo-stacks. This difference is most strikingly highlighted by the fact that over simplicial algebras, an ordinary sheaf of sets may have nontrivial loop space objects, something that can never happen if we regard a sheaf of sets over a 1-categorical site.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

I have included now into function algebras on infinity-stacks the full details of

• the proof of the existence of the claimed model category structure on cosimplicial TT-algebras;

• the proof that for all split hypercovers YXY \to X on a subcanonical site we have that H n(𝒪(X))H n(𝒪(Y))H^n(\mathcal{O}(X)) \to H^n(\mathcal{O}(Y)) is generally an isomorphism for n1n \neq 1.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    • (edited Aug 31st 2010)

the submitted version of Herman Stel’s thesis is now available as a pdf file here.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    • (edited Nov 29th 2010)

at function algebras on infinity-stacks I added technical details on the (𝒪Spec)(\mathcal{O} \dashv Spec)-adjunction for \infty-stacks over a site of duals of simplicial algebras over a field of characteristic 0, following Ben-Zvi/Nadler.

This is in the section function algebras – In derived geometry.

Well, in fact so far (as in BZ/N) this is just abstract nonsese, as it just describes the (,1)(\infty,1)-Yoneda extension of the inclusion of bounded into unbounded dg-algebras. I am lacking currently a more abstract characterization of this adjunction along the lines of the cohomology-localization theorem that is stated in the first part of the entry for situations over site of plain TT-algebras. I still need to think about this.