Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    • (edited Aug 28th 2010)

Let p:CDp: C\to D be a functor, and let f:yxf:y\to x be a morphism of CC. Then applying the following (perhaps incorrect) specialization of the definition for quasicategories, we want to show that the canonical map (Cf)(Cx)× (Dp(x)(Dp(f))(C\downarrow f) \to (C\downarrow x)\times_{(D\downarrow p(x)} (D\downarrow p(f)) is a trivial fibration in the natural model structure. However, if we write out what the (strict 2-) pullback means, the objects are precisely the pairs of morphisms g:zxg: z\to x and h:p(z)p(y)h:p(z)\to p(y) such that p(g)=p(f)hp(g)=p(f) \circ h. Now, if we look at the definition of the natural model structure on CatCat, the trivial fibrations are the surjective (on objects) equivalences of categories. This means that if we require that (Cf)(Cx)× (Dp(x)(Dp(f))(C\downarrow f) \to (C\downarrow x)\times_{(D\downarrow p(x)} (D\downarrow p(f)) to only be a trivial fibration and not an honest isomorphism, we only have that the filler is unique up to a contractible groupoid of choices. That is, the arrow is not cartesian in the sense of Grothendieck, but it is homotopy cartesian.

Then the question: should we require that the map (Cf)(Cx)× (Dp(x)(Dp(f))(C\downarrow f) \to (C\downarrow x)\times_{(D\downarrow p(x)} (D\downarrow p(f)) is an isomorphism of categories? Have I somewhere missed that uniqueness can actually be derived?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    • (edited Aug 29th 2010)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • (edited Aug 29th 2010)

By the way, the nLab page cartesian morphism has the same definition (that it should be a surjective equivalence), but when I asked on MO, Anton said that it should be an isomorphism of categories.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 29th 2010)

I had posted a reply but removed it when I saw I needed to improve something but had to go offline.

What Anton says in his MO-reply is effectively that requiring a surjective equivalence in this case implies that this is actually an isomorphism.

Here is what I wrote in the above reply:

using the notation at Cartesian morphism for p:XYp : X \to Y the map and f:x 1x 2f : x_1 \to x_2 a morphism in XX, an object in the pullback category X/x 2× Y/p(x 2)Y/p(f)X/{x_2} \times_{Y/p(x_2)} Y/p(f) is a compatible pair

( a x 1 f x 2, b p(x 1) p(f) p(x 2)) \left( \array{ && a \\ &&& \searrow \\ x_1 &&\stackrel{f}{\to}&& x_2 } \;\;\;\;\;\;\,,\;\;\;\;\;\; \array{ && b \\ & \swarrow && \searrow \\ p(x_1) &&\stackrel{p(f)}{\to}&& p(x_2) } \right)

Can there be two different objects of X/fX/f over this? I.e. can there be a non-identity morphism

a h a x 1 f x 2 \array{ && a \\ &\swarrow & \downarrow^{\mathrlap{h}} & \searrow \\ && a' \\ \downarrow & \swarrow && \searrow & \downarrow \\ x_1 &&\stackrel{f}{\to}&& x_2 }

in X/fX/f for h:aah : a \to a' a non-identity morphism in XX mapping to the identity morphism on the above object in the pullback category?

It cannot, because a non-identity hh would map to a non-identity morphism

a h a x 2 \array{ && a \\ && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{h}} & \searrow \\ && a' \\ & && \searrow & \downarrow \\ &&&& x_2 }

in X/x 2X/{x_2}, hence to a non-identity morphism in the pullback category.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I turned this discussion into a formal proof at Cartesian morphism – Definition – In categories – Reformulations. Have a look.