Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010

I have a big problem currently with errors when trying to save certain entries. I have no clue what’s going on. I’ll report the trouble I have just in case it rings a bell with anyone.

The following problem occurs for some entries. Not for all. And with different frequency. The worst is currently for me with the entry infinity-Chern-Weil theory. I almost can’t edit this anymore at all (which is a big problem for me, because I need to work on this now).

So what happens is simply this: I hit “Submit”, then I see that some data is being sent back and forth, then just 2 or 3 seconds later I get a screen saying

“connection interrrupted – connection reset by server”.

Then I hit “submit again”. And again. And again. Sometimes it works after the fifth time. Sometimes after the 20th time. Sometime not at all (am trying to save a new version of \infty-Chern-Weil theory for minutes now).

But I can save other entries. With the entry Chern-Simons 2-gerbe that I have just been editing I did see this error message once or twice when saving, but then it worked.

What might be going on here?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

grr, still does’t work.

If maybe somebody has a second for me, could you do me a favor?

I want the following simple edit at infinity-Chern-Weil theory to be saved:

in the section titled “The string-lifting Chern-Simons 3-bundle with connection ” the very first paragraph (starting with “We describe the special case…”) should remain, all of the rest of this single subsection should be deleted (since it has been moved to elsewhere!) and instestead a lign should be added saying:

The content of this subsection is at Chern-Simons 2-gerbe in the sectin of \infty-Chern-Weil theory.

Could anyone do this for me? Thanks! Oh, and this would also be a good test if that error that i am experiencing is maybe not just on my side…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

If maybe somebody has a second for me, could you do me a favor?

Done (if I understood your instructions), along with some minor edits.

And no, I had no trouble saving, although it took a while.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 3rd 2010)

Done

Thanks a lot!

(if I understood your instructions),

Yes, you did! :-)

And no, I had no trouble saving, although it took a while.

I see, well. it might be a problem with my connection. I am using a cell-phone connection and have to go through some VPN Client at University of Hamburg to circumvent the spam filter of the nLab. This is causing generally lots of trouble for me, such as being slow and prone to connection failures. Maybe this problem with saving errors is just a new incarnation with this.

I am seriously hoping, by the way, that all the trouble that I already went through with fighting the spam filter at the nLab (and the trouble that others like David Roberts go through, who due to this cannot edit at all from home) is really less trouble than removing some spam would be. I can imagine that it still is, but makes me wonder anyway.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    • (edited Sep 6th 2010)

I tried to fix some trivial typos at circle n-bundle with connection. But the above problem wouldn’t let me save the entry.

I had the idea that I should check if the entry did save if I removed bits of it. Unfortunately that worked… in the sense that: I have save now a tiny truncated version and am unable to get back to the full version.

Could somebody be so kind a rollback the entry to the full version from August 18? Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Rolled back as requested.

That is quite a big page. Even at my work machine, it took a while to load. I’m guessing that given the hoops you had to go through to load it up from your phone (!), the connection took so long that it gave up.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 6th 2010)

Thanks, Andrew!

from your phone (!),

Well, I am using what they call a “surf stick”. This is a “cell-phone” kind of connection but supposed to be high bandwidth. It uses UMTS and stuff.

the connection took so long that it gave up.

The thing is that the connecton gives up after just a second or so.

When I open the monitor that shows me the data flow through said “surf stick”, I see right after I hit submit a considerable peak of sent data (much more than usual, actually) for one second, and then it drops to 0 right away and the browser tells me “connection rejected”. Very strange.

But it might be related in some way to the size of the page. I have no clear picture yet, but the little experimenting that I do have might indicate that the problem becomes worse with the size of the pages.