Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Hi, I am new here so please excuse any formatting errors.

I am looking for a reference on what I do not have a term for so I will call it subobject philosophy. What I mean is that the “right” definition of subobject often depends on the category. Broadly, it is generally agreed that subobjects should be at most monomorphisms (up to slice isomorphism) and at least regular monomorphisms. However, I have gotten this information purely from a friend and I wish to fact-check it. Is there any article about this or similar on the nLab or elsewhere? I do see mention of these concepts on their relevant pages, but no article pointedly about the “philosophy” of how one chooses which to use, or a compilation of the list of criteria currently in use across various categories.

Thank you all for your time.