Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

we need to resolve a problem with current redirects:

currently formal space redirects to formal topology.

I happen to know “formal space” in the sense given at formal dg-algebra: a topological space such that its dg-algebras of Sullivan forms is a formal dg-algebra. I think this is very wide-spread and classical use of the term. But it means something different than the sense in which it is used at formal topology.

I have now at least added a disambiguation at the top of formal topology. But I am wondering if we should not redirect and dismbiguate the other way round. Isn’t “formal space” in the dg-algebra sense much more common and well established terminology than “formal space” in the sense of formal topology?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010

I don’t know what’s more established. In an anoymous Google search for "formal space", the top hit matches your meaning, while the second matches my meaning. None of the other top ten hits match your meaning, while several of them match my meaning. Going through a few more pages, both of our meanings are well represented. There are two articles on the math arXiv with ‘formal space’ in the title, one for each of our meanings. Searching for "formal topological space" gives similar results.

I have to admit that your usage seems odd to me. Do we normally add adjectives to ‘space’ or ‘topological space’ to match a space’s algebra of Sullivan forms? (If the dg-algebra of Sullivan forms is simple, for example, do we call it a ‘simple space’?) If it is specifically rational spaces whose homotopy type is determined by their Sullivan forms, I would be inclined to say ‘formal rational space’ instead. But I admit that people don’t seem to say that much (although I got a few Google hits for it.)

By the way, I was thinking of renaming formal topology to formal space, since the latter seems to be used more than the former. This is probably a bad idea now. The term is also used in a few different ways in the literature (the most extreme being a simple synonym for ‘locale’), which I am in the process of clearing up for myself so that I can add them to the article. It may be that the best use of formal space is as a page that explains the different meanings, linking to formal topology and formal dg-algebra, as well locale and possibly geometric theory. If it would help, I can hurry up on straightening out the different meanings in formal topology.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hi Toby,

thanks for this survey. I agree that “formal spaace” in “my sense” is bad use of terminology. But it is ancient. (As so many bad things ;-)

Okay, so I wasn’t aware that “formal space” in “your sense” is wide-spread at all. So that’s good to know.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Perhaps some page on the various uses of ’formal’ might be useful. My question would then be ’what should go in it?’